Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water change problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-change-problem-131935/)

fish keeper 2013 03-16-2013 03:38 PM

Water change problem

I was doing a 50% water change and I accidentally forgot to dechlorinate the water. I was waching the filter parts in the undelchlorinated water :sob:. I'm afraid I accidentally killed all my beneficial bacteria. The tap water was in the tank for about 1-2 minutes before I realized I needed to dechlorinate it and the filter parts were in there for about 5 minutes. Will I have to start my cyle over again?

boxercrazy156 03-16-2013 03:43 PM

I think you should be ok if your tank is established I forgot for a day on one of mine last week

MoneyMitch 03-16-2013 10:46 PM

at worst you will see a mini cycle, most liely not though.

jaysee 03-16-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 (Post 1470824)
I was doing a 50% water change and I accidentally forgot to dechlorinate the water. I was waching the filter parts in the undelchlorinated water :sob:. I'm afraid I accidentally killed all my beneficial bacteria. The tap water was in the tank for about 1-2 minutes before I realized I needed to dechlorinate it and the filter parts were in there for about 5 minutes. Will I have to start my cyle over again?

I wash my media in chlorinated tap water. I'm pretty sure you will be fine. Bacteria is far more resilient than many people think, once it's established.

Tolak 03-17-2013 06:03 AM

Since nearly all of my tanks are drilled for water changes I do 50% all the time with straight tap, adding dechlor after. If there was enough disinfectants in tap water to do any serious damage to your nitrifying bacteria you couldn't drink it, but it would make a great oven cleaner.

Many folks do 25% water changes without adding any dechlor. A common problem with water suppliers is nitrifying bacteria in their distribution system, which is capable of splitting the ammonia/chliorine bond in chloramine, using the ammonia leaving the chlorine. Chlorine will gas off, no doubt these same bacteria are active in the filtration of folks who use no water treatment for water changes.

AbbeysDad 03-17-2013 08:03 AM

Difficult to predict. Could be okay in an established tank, maybe not so much in a newer setup. You'll just have to wait, monitor and see what happens...or not.

fish keeper 2013 03-17-2013 09:31 AM

I'm actually in the middle of cycling :-(. I guess I'll just have wait and see.

Byron 03-17-2013 01:32 PM

I'm in agreement with most (perhaps all) of what has been mentioned.

If there are fish in the tank, I assume you added the dechlorinator to the filled tank as soon as you discovered what happened.

If the aquarium is cycled and established, there will be sufficient bacteria on every surface, especially in the substrate, and washing the filter media under the tap will not do any harm. I have never in 25 years done otherwise. But I do have live plants, which makes a big impact. But the bacteria residing throughout the tank is still sufficient although an overstocked plantless tank would perhaps be more of a risk.

During the initial cycle, the risk may be higher of course, but only if fish are in the tank.

Byron.

jaysee 03-17-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1472058)
. But the bacteria residing throughout the tank is still sufficient although an overstocked plantless tank would perhaps be more of a risk.

I have experience with overstocked plantless tanks, and it's never been a problem for me. The tap water does not sterilize the media - at least not in the time it takes to clean it. I'm sure that there is an impact on the bacteria, but the surviving colonies can quickly recolonize the media. I only thoroughly clean the sponges - biomedia just gets a quick rinse. Afterwards, I fast the tank for a few days just to make sure things have a chance to balance out.

boxercrazy156 03-17-2013 04:23 PM

I add mine after the water is in since I use the python when I first started doing water changes I used buckets and added the declirinator to the buckets and then put them in the aquarium I had all kind if problems then I have been adding after for a long time and everything is good e en if I forget the odd time
Posted via Mobile Device