- - Algae infestation!
|rrusli ||03-23-2008 04:54 PM |
I left for spring break and let my friend take over my 10 gallon tank. When I got back, there water was extremely murky and green! I've been changing the water constantly, but the green doesn't seem to be going away. What are the steps to getting clear water in my aquarium again?[/list]
|fish_4_all ||03-23-2008 05:52 PM |
Block as much sunlight as you can and cut your lighting to less than 6 hours a day. It should slowly go away. Water changes won't help.
|fish_4_all ||03-24-2008 12:16 PM |
Algone is supposed to be a miracle algae cure also. I have nenver personally used it but have known a few pretty reliable fish keepers who swear by it.
|herefishy ||03-24-2008 12:26 PM |
Algone is a very good product. I use it, I don't know how reliable I am, but.....
AlgaeFix is another good product from API.
Remember though when using any algae destroyer, regular "sweeps" of the top of the substrate is mandatory. Dead algae will accumulate on the bottom of the tank and just increase the problem by supplying more nutrients.
|rrusli ||03-25-2008 09:25 PM |
the algae won't harm the fish will it?
|blueblue48 ||03-25-2008 09:36 PM |
alot of fish will eat algae, i thought algae was caused by nitrates as well as too much light.
|fish_4_all ||03-25-2008 10:17 PM |
The oly time the algae will hurt the fish is if it gets so bad that it uses up the available oxygen and suffocates the fish.
As for causes, it can be caused by an excess of any nutrient, Iron, Nitrates, phosphates, potassium, and almost any other. It can also be caused by a lack of any of them if the tnak needs them. A phosphate shortage can actually cause green spot algae in even a minorly planted tank.
|rrusli ||03-30-2008 09:02 PM |
Ok, so I kept the light off for a while and got a pleco, and the algae definitely seems lower, but the water is still a hazy green, and seems to be staying that way. What should I do now? continue to keep the light off?
|okiemavis ||03-30-2008 09:46 PM |
Just keep the water changes up and it should eventually go away. A small UV sterilizer would do the job, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. High temperatures can also cause a green water bloom. I had a hospital tank at 82° and my water went crazy! As soon as I brought it back down to 78° the green water was gone within a week.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM. || |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2