Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Sick or Sad Betta?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sick-sad-betta-131768/)

EllaEcstasy7 03-14-2013 08:04 PM

Sick or Sad Betta??

2 Attachment(s)
1. What is the size of your tank?
10 Gallon

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
Don't use one

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
Freshwater
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
1 month
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I have 5 female bettas in the tank as well as 2 ghost shrimp, I've had 2 of the females for 3 weeks, 1 for a month, 1 for 2 weeks and the last one just recently added 2 days ago. None of them are bigger than 2 inches.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
76 Degrees
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
2 Bamboo stalks

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Tetra Whisper 10i and once a month (Just changed it for the first time)

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

I open the curtain next to it every day around 3 pm

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

3 days ago I did a complete water change.I change it every two weeks.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

I feed them Aqueon Betta food pellets and recently started giving a few blood worm. I feed everyday, but 2 pellets per betta. (They usually come to the surface to eat)

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
STATED BELOW--->
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis
The only thing I have added to the tank is Bettafix to fix the wounded fins.

Since I came back from vacation, one of my bettas died from what I believe to be over feeding and one of my other females isn't very active and hasn't eaten for 3 days now. She tends to stay on the bottom of the big tank unless she needs to come up for air. I pulled her out of the bigger tank last night and put her in another smaller divided tank but she still isn't very active and floats at the top of this one. She doesn't even notice the other betta thats on the other side of the tank. Her color has changed a little on the bottom part of her body, but other than that she she looks just the same as when I got her.
None of the other girls are acting different or showing any weird signs.
What should I do?

The pictures attached are pictures of now.

EllaEcstasy7 03-14-2013 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Her the day before we left during feeding time... she is the green looking one. The blue one recently died.

Bombalurina 03-15-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllaEcstasy7 (Post 1468709)
1. What is the size of your tank?
10 Gallon

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
Don't use one

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
Freshwater
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
1 month
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I have 5 female bettas in the tank as well as 2 ghost shrimp, I've had 2 of the females for 3 weeks, 1 for a month, 1 for 2 weeks and the last one just recently added 2 days ago. None of them are bigger than 2 inches.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
76 Degrees
This is not really ideal for bettas. Try raising it to 80 - this will not only help the other fish but will encourage faster healing of your sick girl's fins.

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
2 Bamboo stalks
Be careful with these, as they can rot when submerged (I'm sure you've heard this).

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Tetra Whisper 10i and once a month (Just changed it for the first time)
Did you change all of the filter media, or just some? Changing all wipes out most of the BB in the tank and could have caused the cycle to restart.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

I open the curtain next to it every day around 3 pm
Be very careful having a tank next to a window. This can cause temperature fluctuations.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

3 days ago I did a complete water change.I change it every two weeks.
Not really enough. By the time two weeks have gone by, ammonia or nitrates will have reached fairly high levels. 50% once a week would be much better, as the levels would not be able to climb so high. I strongly advise a test kit so you can monitor them. This is especially important as it looks like your tank is only partially filled, reducing the amount of water.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

I feed them Aqueon Betta food pellets and recently started giving a few blood worm. I feed everyday, but 2 pellets per betta. (They usually come to the surface to eat)
When you run out of Aqueon, consider switching to Omega One or New Life Spectrum, as these are higher protein without poor-quality fillers. That being said, I'm not sure what the ingredients of Aqueon are.
Two pellets per fish doesn't seem like enough to me. Consider repeating this schedule in the morning and the evening.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
STATED BELOW--->
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis
The only thing I have added to the tank is Bettafix to fix the wounded fins.
Careful with Bettafix. It's a pretty controversial medication, as the eucaplyptus oil has been observed to irritate some bettas' labyrinth organs. It is rare, however. Just make sure you don't go even slightly over the recommended dosage.
Warm, clean water will fix the fins just as well as Bettafix.

Since I came back from vacation, one of my bettas died from what I believe to be over feeding and one of my other females isn't very active and hasn't eaten for 3 days now. She tends to stay on the bottom of the big tank unless she needs to come up for air. I pulled her out of the bigger tank last night and put her in another smaller divided tank but she still isn't very active and floats at the top of this one. She doesn't even notice the other betta thats on the other side of the tank. Her color has changed a little on the bottom part of her body, but other than that she she looks just the same as when I got her.
None of the other girls are acting different or showing any weird signs.
What should I do?

The pictures attached are pictures of now.

Without more external signs it is very hard to diagnose a particular problem. I would suggest more water changes (at least 50% weekly) and raising the temperature to see if she perks up in very clean, warm water.

dramaqueen 03-15-2013 11:44 PM

I agree with Bombalurina.

MoneyMitch 03-16-2013 11:00 PM

in the second pic of the bluish green one definately looks like some fin rot (bacterial infection) and if i followed correctly that one is dead? sorry to hear but im gunna say the bac is what did her in by looking at the progressions of the infection on the fins. (hard to tell though as its a bit grainy for me)

ao 03-18-2013 12:11 AM

if you changed out your filter.. you will have killed your cycle. try to do atleast a 50% weekly water change until your tank cycles again...

MoneyMitch 03-22-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aokashi (Post 1473125)
if you changed out your filter.. you will have killed your cycle. try to do atleast a 50% weekly water change until your tank cycles again...

in my opinion as long as you had substrate in the tank i wouldnt expect a full cycle, bacteria will live anywhere there is surface for them, to live on. you may see a mini cycle but i not a full swing cycle.