Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Sparkling Gouramis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/sparkling-gouramis-13169/)

Falina 03-22-2008 08:56 PM

Sparkling Gouramis

A small amount of my guppy fry have been residing in my 7g/8g/something like that for a while now to grow out and the time has come now for them to go to the lfs. I'll be taking them in a few days and since the tank is quite small, and because it's sort of cube shaped rather than rectangular, I have just assumed i would get a betta for the tank. I have however been considering lately, on reading many posts, a pair of sparkling gouramis instead.

I've read that many people keep a pair in a 5g. My tank is a little bigger but i can't help thinking it might not be big enough. I know they're small fish, and not as active as many fish, but i just worry that perhaps they might get a bit territorial, especially since it's so hard to sex them and i might end up with 2 males. And also that they might just enjoy a bit more space to swim around.

So basically I was wondering what everyones experiences have been with them? Especially if you have kept them in a tank of 8g or smaller. Or if you have had them in a larger tank and still felt they needed more.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lupin 03-22-2008 09:36 PM

Your tank can support 3-4 sparkling gouramis. Sexing is not easy at all so the possibility that you get a true pair is very slim. You can mix them with anything else but do not try mixing them with guppies and other fish with fancy fins. Like all other anabantids, they can become aggressive just for a tiny fish. I made a mistake of mixing a fancy male guppy with them in a 20g and ended up witnessing them beating up the guppy leaving it with horribly tattered fins. They're pretty easy to keep. What you need is feed them nutritious foods to ensure good coloration.

On the other hand, you can mix them with licorice gouramis and chocolate gouramis. Both, of course, will require live foods in order to thrive. Failing that, then they are not for you. Licorice gouramis aren't really that delicate but they must be given extra attention to their needs just like discus except that they prefer a supply of live foods despite accepting commercial foods.

Falina 03-22-2008 10:14 PM

Thanks Lupin. I measured the tank and calculated, and it's 8g right enough. I just wasn't entirely sure.

Because of the cube shape, I don't think i would mix them with anything else, I would likely just keep the pair, or maybe trio since you have mentioned that, on their own.

I'm still torn between them and a betta. I've always had a betta in that tank (aside from when it has been used as a fry tank of course, and it just feels strange to me not to keep one there. The added problem is that I never see sparkling gouramis around. I would probably have to order them which makes them a bit more expensive. but then i have had my eye on a few more bcts from the same place I'd be ordering them for a while, so it would make it a more worthwhile purchase i reckon. ;)

In terms of breeding i don't care if I get a true pair, but I do worry about agression. The tank is planted so the lines of sight would be broken which would help a bit.

Do you have any advice on what i should do regarding this? I worry that I would end up with 2 or 3 males, or a pair and another which may be harassed. I understand that most gouramis are very territorial and even agressive towards other males so I'm not sure if i should risk it incase i dn't end up with the sex ratio i had wanted. Of course since i would be ordering them simply returning one and attempting to get the correct sex the second time round wouldn't be an option. So I guess I'm just wondering what is likely to happen if i do end up with 2/3 males?

Thanks again.

Lupin 03-23-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falina
Thanks Lupin. I measured the tank and calculated, and it's 8g right enough. I just wasn't entirely sure.

Because of the cube shape, I don't think i would mix them with anything else, I would likely just keep the pair, or maybe trio since you have mentioned that, on their own.

I'm still torn between them and a betta. I've always had a betta in that tank (aside from when it has been used as a fry tank of course, and it just feels strange to me not to keep one there. The added problem is that I never see sparkling gouramis around. I would probably have to order them which makes them a bit more expensive. but then i have had my eye on a few more bcts from the same place I'd be ordering them for a while, so it would make it a more worthwhile purchase i reckon. ;)

In terms of breeding i don't care if I get a true pair, but I do worry about agression. The tank is planted so the lines of sight would be broken which would help a bit.

Do you have any advice on what i should do regarding this? I worry that I would end up with 2 or 3 males, or a pair and another which may be harassed. I understand that most gouramis are very territorial and even agressive towards other males so I'm not sure if i should risk it incase i dn't end up with the sex ratio i had wanted. Of course since i would be ordering them simply returning one and attempting to get the correct sex the second time round wouldn't be an option. So I guess I'm just wondering what is likely to happen if i do end up with 2/3 males?

Thanks again.

Sparkling gouramis really don't attack each other regardless of the gender so you don't have to worry about it. They can be rather timid and peaceful but if you are not particularly careful in selecting their tankmates, they tend to give you surprises. If you wish to get more tankmates, otos, cories or the Hyphessobrycon amandae would be fine.

Falina 03-23-2008 05:34 PM

Thanks. I'll certainly give them some consideration now. Still feels weird not to have a betta in the tank, but some sparkling gouramis would be a lovely change. :)