Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   is my setup ok? pictures added :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-setup-ok-pictures-added-131561/)

yellowbrickroad 03-12-2013 05:04 PM

is my setup ok? pictures added :)

I've added a few pictures of my tank now I've put the plants in, would appreciate any comments.. is it looking ok? (First tank). I mail ordered my plants and was expecting them to be bigger, so the plan is for the left side to have tall plants eventually. I'm also getting some duckweed as my lights are a bit bright for the head and light tail tetra I'll be adding.

Thanks,
Louise

erinbirdsong 03-12-2013 05:07 PM

I think it looks very good. The plants should grow pretty quickly. I was surprised how fast ours grew in. Good Luck!

Olympia 03-12-2013 05:23 PM

I think it looks great for a first tank! :-D Those plants should grow in nicely.

yellowbrickroad 03-12-2013 06:28 PM

Thanks, I'm glad you think it looks ok :) I think might need to put some pebbles around the stem plants to stop the corys digging them up, or do they grow longer roots to secure themselves?

Olympia 03-12-2013 06:30 PM

They will grow longer roots over time, but for now it wouldn't hurt to put something around them if the cories are uprooting them. :)

jasonwilks 03-12-2013 06:45 PM

Looks good! I see that your puppy likes it too :)

yellowbrickroad 03-12-2013 06:51 PM

Haha :) well my puppy is a cat, but yes she won't leave it alone! I've constructed something to try to keep her off the lid.. it works sometimes. Not even got fish in there yet, she's going to go crazy!

SeaHorse 03-12-2013 09:44 PM

Looks awesome! Good job for going live plants instead of plastic.

Watch for brown spots or "melting". You will need to add fertilizers weekly at the very least, I add them 2x a week and not on water change day. De-chlorinator negates the Ferts so why waste your money adding Ferts on a WC day. Hope that helps you.
Looking forward to seeing more pics as it fills in!!

yellowbrickroad 03-13-2013 08:27 AM

Thanks JakieBabie I didn't know that, is the day after water change OK? I bought API Leaf Zone. The tall plant at the back is fake but I quite like it anyway. I was thinking of putting blackout card on the sides of the tank until the plants have grown tall in the hope it will make the fish feel a bit less exposed.

I've also just realised my tank is bigger than I thought as I was measuring in UK gallons; apparantly it's 23.4 US gallons. Don't know if that'll give me room for extra fishes but at least a little more swimming space for the ones I'd already planned :)

SeaHorse 03-13-2013 09:04 AM

No problem! I do the water change on say... Monday Day1, then Ferts on day 2 Tues., and 5 Friday. Then start again on Monday or Day 1. Just fit it to your schedule. But if you want to start just one day a week, then do it at least a day later and not the day before a water change. I keep a little calender with my tank, just cause I can't remember a darn thing. I record fish purchases, deaths, plant additions, WC, Ferts, test results. Everything. At some point I will either have a record of what went wrong should I question a problem in the tank. OR I will trust myself to be diligent and responsible enough to try Salt Water. At the moment I am unable and I know it.
There is also an Aquarium Log at the top but it doesn't seem to be working right now and I've never used it myself.
Woohoo for extra gallons.