Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP! Betta seizures?! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-betta-seizures-13145/)

KingTriton 03-22-2008 12:42 AM

HELP! Betta seizures?!

I went to my bedroom to go to sleep not too long ago. I turned the light on and said hello to my betta and he came right up to the glass like usual. I turned for a moment and the next thing I know he was lying with his mouth on the bottom and his body standing straight upwards. I went closer and he started darting all about sideways and such. He'd stop and dive down face first again and sit there. He continued doing this several times. The last time he darted sideways into the plant and just laid there, as if he were dead. I couldn't watch anymore, but I couldn't climb into bed and go to sleep knowing this was happening. I searched and found that is might be common for bettas to have seizures. What does this mean? Is he dying? Is there anything I can do? Please help!

KingTriton 03-22-2008 01:16 AM

He passed away. I just checked on him.

Can someone please tell me if these seizures are common? Is there a specific illness that causes them?

King of Candlesticks 03-22-2008 01:28 AM

I'm Sorry for your loss... It's sad losing fish.

Both my Dalmation Molly and my Red Wag Platy did this before they died. So did my African Dwarf Frog. I think it's just something that happens to fish before they die. It's hard to watch and slightly disturbing.

Once again, I'm sorry.

KingTriton 03-22-2008 01:31 AM

Thank you. I've only had him for a week, so I feel like it must have been something I did.

I've never seen a fish do this before, thankfully. Besides not eating (which I wasn't sure of, exactly) he seemed prefectly fine. He was far more active than my previous betta.

key_555 03-22-2008 01:57 AM

i am so sorry for your loss

herefishy 03-22-2008 03:34 AM

I have heard that sometimes just turning the light on in an unlit room, scares the holy bejesus out of some fish, bettas included. I had a 26" clown knife jump out of the tank one time doing that. He scared me as much as the light scared him.

Meatpuppet 03-22-2008 08:55 AM

I agree to the light
i did this to a betta once. as soon as i tuned on the light i looked at the tank and he looked fozen- just in one spot. then suddenly he burt into superspeed and started swimming around the top of the tank faster than a speeding bullet. it was like watching a blender! this went on for like 4 seconds, making a big mess of slashes and whatnot...(poor thing)

well he did live after that :D and ill be more carefull

stephenmontero 03-22-2008 06:10 PM

i'm so sorry for you and your betta

bf2king 03-22-2008 07:43 PM

sry for ur lose and i have silver dollars who sometimes run into driftwood and the tank side when i just walk into the room.

KingTriton 03-22-2008 09:12 PM

I returned him to the store today and they didn't have any clue what it could have been. They said he must have been ill with something before I took him home.