Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Algae cleaner in Malawi tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/algae-cleaner-malawi-tank-131434/)

pennpets 03-11-2013 03:42 PM

Algae cleaner in Malawi tank?

I have a 55 stocked with blue johani cichlids at the moment and have a bit of an algae problem. I have been researching fish that eat algea, however have not found any yet that are reccomended for the water parameters (pH 8-.8.5). Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am getting tired of scraping the tank every week. Also tank is not in direct sunlight, so that is not an issue with the algae growth.

Tazman 03-11-2013 03:46 PM

Adding an algae eater as such may not be the best idea.

You need to work out what is causing the algae in the first place.

Reduce the amount of time the lights are on each day and also the amount of food being fed to the fish, this can all contribute to algae issues.

pennpets 03-11-2013 03:51 PM

lights are on 5 to 6 hours a day, and fish are fed what they can eat in about 4 minutes. Ive been told that excessive phosphates in water can be an issue as well. Do not recall seeing a test kit for phosphates, although to be honest have never looked for one.

MoneyMitch 03-11-2013 08:48 PM

reduce feedign to what they can eat in 30 seconds, live plants being used? if so stop with any fert dosing what type of light is being used?5-6 hrs may still be to much without live plan ts depending on what type of light is being used.

pennpets 03-12-2013 09:04 AM

no plants for these fsh, they would rip them up. I will reduce food , see what happens. I have well water, so i will also get a phosphate test kit, as I know my water is hard to begin with. To bad I dont have room for a RO pump and holding tank.

AndrewM21 03-14-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennpets (Post 1465280)
no plants for these fsh, they would rip them up. I will reduce food , see what happens. I have well water, so i will also get a phosphate test kit, as I know my water is hard to begin with. To bad I dont have room for a RO pump and holding tank.

I have been using API AlgaeFix in my Mbuna tank due to excessive algae growth, it does the job but it requires continuous dosing so it is not recommending long-term. I have a pleco in my Peacock tank (pH 7.9) and he's done well in there for quite some time, but I keep my pH at 8.2 in my Mbuna tank so I can't have one in there unfortunately.

My recommendation would be to get your lights on a timer (sporadic light schedules will not help the situation.) You can get a cheap Brinks digital timer from Walmart for $15.00 and you can program it for multiple settings.

Reduce feeding and check your water as recommended by other people as well :)