Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Marimo Moss Balls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/marimo-moss-balls-131299/)

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 12:27 PM

Marimo Moss Balls

Can someone please tell me what they are & what they are for etc
Practical or ornamental?
I saw some advertised on Ebay a while ago including big ones and tiny tiny tiny ones inside small jars.

Looking forward to finding out :)
Meg
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 03-10-2013 02:00 PM

As to what they are, here is the definition from Wikipedia:
Aegagropila linnaei, known as Marimo (literally "ball seaweed") in Japanese and as Cladophora ball, Lake ball, or Moss Balls in English, is a species of filamentous green algae (Chlorophyta) found in a number of lakes in the northern hemisphere. A marimo is a rare growth form of the species where the algae grow into large green balls with a velvety appearance. Colonies of such balls are only known to form in Iceland, Scotland, Japan and Estonia.
I've never had them, I am not particularly fond of how they look:lol:, but I know several other members have mentioned them.

Byron.

Olympia 03-10-2013 02:23 PM

They are live plants but they are more for fun. They don't absorb too much stuff from what I've read. Yes you can keep them in jars in a slightly sunny place for decor, they actually do better in cooler waters but they can handle a tropical tank as well. They pretty much don't grow (I think they are supposed to grow .5" in diameter per year).

Stoke88 03-10-2013 07:58 PM

From what I've read, they are a small amount off moss that gets rolled around on the bottom of the lake or river which forms a ball. They help filter the water and keep it clear. My LFS owner told me when I do a water change, take it out and squeeze it a few times in the siphoned water to clean it. My RCS love it. I think its a neat plant as well.

Byron 03-10-2013 08:25 PM

These are not plants, nor are they moss. They are algae. I guess others have my bad habit of posting before reading the subsequent posts. I know I do this.:-(

I have read elsewhere that this cladophora algae can spread, and appear everywhere, getting into nooks and crannies. Considering the frequent number of times members post asking for help getting rid of algae, just be forewarned.;-)

Byron.

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 09:45 PM

I haven't purchased one or anything but was wondering what on earth they are all about I saw advertised micro, mini, small, medium, large, jumbo ones and i'm thinking what are these things and are they beneficial and why have them... Confused me to be honest

Meg.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDM 03-11-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirpchirp (Post 1463177)
I haven't purchased one or anything but was wondering what on earth they are all about I saw advertised micro, mini, small, medium, large, jumbo ones and i'm thinking what are these things and are they beneficial and why have them... Confused me to be honest

Meg.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a planted tank that I am play testing a variety of species of plants in for LED lighting. I have tried 15 so far. One was a moss ball, it was one of two that did not make the cut. I would expect that a round mass of plant/algae material would need to move around to be of any use other than decoration. I don't find that I need to clean my plants so I wouldn't ever put one in that needed to be wrung out every once in a while.

My daughter had it with the betta originally and she did clean it every week.

If it is an algae, as Byron mentions, it can't be much use anyway.

Jeff.

Olympia 03-11-2013 12:04 PM

Marimo is wonderful fun. They are simply the cutest things and have a huge cult following behind them (an entire festival in Japan). You clean it mostly because a lot of crud gets stuck in it which I guess would be detrimental over time.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-11-2013 12:23 PM

You're supposed to clean them?

JDM 03-11-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1463785)
You're supposed to clean them?

I don't know if you're supposed to, she did. Every week a 100% water change and a total scrub down of the gravel, plants and "tank", the ball was just part of her routine.

They might make an interesting filter media...:roll:

Jeff.