Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   new tank ready to roll... so which cichlids!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-tank-ready-roll-so-cichlids-131296/)

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 10:54 AM

new tank ready to roll... so which cichlids!?

Hi all, very excited to say that finally my 60 G cichlid tank is fully cycled, water parameters are great and ready too start gradually putting in some fish.
I would absolutely love some input on suggested fish to put into my tank.
a few things perhaps to consider...
1 . 60G tank fully cycled for 6 weeks (hence i'm excited its finally ready :) )
2 . the tank is sand substrate with a few limestone features also called Texas holy rocks here (don't know if they are always called that) some driftwood structures for hiding, playing etc and some heavy based buried take plants which no doubt will get dug up by cheeky cichlids or so I have been told but the tank needed something extra none the less :)
3. Interested in a few different types of cichlids to go in this tank
4. Would love something colourful, certainly keen on the electric yellows and possibly some living stones which I call giraffe fish :)
5. Hope to breed them in the future when they are sexually matured in time & how do they breed? Mouth, eggs etc.
6. Looking to get them relatively young so as they can grow UP together and grow with the tank so to speak.
7. Compatibility levels with other cichlids I think would be handy to know too, general aggression levels I suppose.

That is honestly all I can think of right now.

Can obviously google them but if anyone has pics they can attach of suggested fish that would be great.

Thank you to those who put in their ten cents in advance I am definitely looking forward to the suggestions :)
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-10-2013 11:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I only have experience with new world cichlids. I'm a big fan of chanchitos - australoheros oblongum. They are not very common though. Peaceful, adaptable, and not too big, these fish are gorgeous and do very well in a community setting, as well as with other mild mannered cichlids.

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 11:46 AM

They are lovely! Don't know if I have seen them in Australia to be honest. Do they have a common name or a nick name?
When you say new world cichlids to you mean South American or something totally different? Sorry, I am new to the cichlid world to be honest :)
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-10-2013 12:16 PM

New World is an old time reference to the Americas. Settlers came from the old world. At the time, they didn't know that the Americas existed, so when they were "discovered", it was a whole new world :)

As far as cichlids go, they are either NW (north, central and south american) or African.

Chanchito is the common name, though it's a name that is applied to an entire group of fish, not just that specific species. They come from uraguay. Like I said, not a common fish, but if you can find them you should snatch them up.

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 12:25 PM

Now I have looked at betas i'm thinking they could be cool to breed too... What is your personal preference?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-10-2013 12:30 PM

I'm not a fan of bettas. There are plenty of other people that can help you with that.

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 12:33 PM

have you bred cichlids before? The ones you currently have in the pics you posted perhaps?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-10-2013 12:38 PM

They breed themselves :) I don't actively do it, and in all honesty, I don't want them to breed. It's just something I don't feel like dealing with.

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 12:39 PM

Is that your tank? I can see the picture must be a Still from the video but unfortunately can't watch videos on my phone :( what is in the video?
Meg.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-10-2013 12:42 PM

Yes, that's my 55. The pictures i posted are from that tank. The video is of the chanchito pair defending their fry from all the hungry mouths in the tank.