Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Do fish urinate? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/do-fish-urinate-131162/)

chirpchirp 03-08-2013 11:49 PM

Do fish urinate?

I understand this is probably a totally stupid question but i'm honestly wondering... Do fish pee / urinate?

thanks for the answers to my silly question in advance :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MoneyMitch 03-08-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirpchirp (Post 1460589)
I understand this is probably a totally stupid question but i'm honestly wondering... Do fish pee / urinate?

thanks for the answers to my silly question in advance :)
Posted via Mobile Device

im thinking their poo acts as both, but thats just a guess

chirpchirp 03-08-2013 11:57 PM

See I have guppies, and when they are nearing birth / during birth you can see a clear fluid coming out i'm a small stream so to speak from the anal area. I've always figured it is some type of embryonic fluid or simply much like a human before birth the mothers water breaks I have been looking at it like that.
However yesterday I thought I saw my male doing it too. It was however a much smaller amount and not for a prolonged time or anything so I have just been wondering. Sometimes I have seen females (pregnant and non) do it also which has simply made me wonder :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Olympia 03-09-2013 12:00 AM

No I don't think so.. Fish expel ammonia (though mostly through the gills I believe) and we expel urea (which is ammonia with carbon dioxide)..

chirpchirp 03-09-2013 12:02 AM

As a human nurse I think I am looking at comparisons of humans to fish a lot hence my "like humans do" analogies but i'm sure there is some form of explanation.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-09-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1460607)
No I don't think so.. Fish expel ammonia (though mostly through the gills I believe) and we expel urea (which is ammonia with carbon dioxide)..

Fish get rid of ammonia via the gills. However, it's done by passive diffusion. That means that the ammonia concentration of the fish can not be less than that of the water

rexpepper651 03-09-2013 02:15 AM

cool! i thought they were like birds lol

chirpchirp 03-09-2013 09:10 AM

Lol the brown is poop and white is urine equivalent in birds I think.
So what is this fluid I am seeing come out. Urination not ammonia related?
Posted via Mobile Device

Quantum 03-09-2013 09:56 AM

the do, and especially freshwater fish, must excrete urine, but not as the primary way of removing nitrogenous waste as has been mentioned, but as part of osmoregulation

chirpchirp 03-09-2013 09:58 AM

So that is most likely what I an seeing? If you imagine a petrol slick how it looks like thick water almost that's the best way to describe it that I can think of right now that might be the stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device