Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   DIY Moving Media Filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/diy-moving-media-filter-131125/)

NorCalAquarist 03-08-2013 04:16 PM

DIY Moving Media Filter

I have been looking around for added biological filtration techniques for my 29gal tank, when I came across a DIY moving media filter using a water bottle, airline, and cut straws. Is this technique one to consider? Or is it just a farce?

JDM 03-08-2013 06:09 PM

The idea behind biological filtration is to give the beneficial bacteria maximum surface area to reside on in a minimum volumetric space (for an in tank or HOB filter) with good water flow through the entire media with as little bypass flow as possible. Moving the media is of no value other than to take up more space to allow it to move.

Oh, and it gives you something to look at if you get bored with the fish, I suppose.

There is more surface area on a course sponge than on pieces of straws and it adds a mechanical filtration factor to boot. A small sponge filter is probably the most efficient use of space, mechanical filtration and biological filtration.

If you are keeping an aquarium with plants, you don't really want a bubbler anyway.

BTW, welcome to the board.:-D

Jeff.

MoneyMitch 03-08-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1460267)
The idea behind biological filtration is to give the beneficial bacteria maximum surface area to reside on in a minimum volumetric space (for an in tank or HOB filter) with good water flow through the entire media with as little bypass flow as possible. Moving the media is of no value other than to take up more space to allow it to move.

Oh, and it gives you something to look at if you get bored with the fish, I suppose.

There is more surface area on a course sponge than on pieces of straws and it adds a mechanical filtration factor to boot. A small sponge filter is probably the most efficient use of space, mechanical filtration and biological filtration.

If you are keeping an aquarium with plants, you don't really want a bubbler anyway.

BTW, welcome to the board.:-D

Jeff.

+1

AbbeysDad 03-09-2013 10:16 AM

Welcome to TFK!

The fluidized bed concept/method/idea has been around for some time. Proponents argue that the moving media somehow makes it more efficient.

Personally I just don't see the logic. Biological filtration works best when water flows slowly around/through a 'platform' that allows the bacteria to attach to it. I don't think moving media does much at all. Also, I think open cell foam and conventional bio-media offers a much better platform for BB than cut straws.

I use an Aquaclear 70 filter with an AC30 impeller for reduced flow, completely filled with a mix of Seachem Matrix and De*Nitrate bio-media, as a dedicated bio-filter.
I handle mechanical filtration separately.