Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   SunSun Canister Filter...anyone using this? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/sunsun-canister-filter-anyone-using-131109/)

CallieDee 03-08-2013 12:14 PM

SunSun Canister Filter...anyone using this?

Hello all, it's been awhile. I have a 55 gallon tank with a few cichlids in it and I am wanting to upgrade to a canister filter. The one that I'm looking at is a SunSun HW-303B. It's a 4 stage filter with 9W UV sterilizer. It's good for up to 100 gallons so I will be able to use it if I ever upgrade as well...the reviews on Amazon are really good as well and it is known for being quiet.

I just want to know if any of y'all use this and if so what are some of the pros and cons.

jaysee 03-08-2013 01:35 PM

I have 4 of them and like them very much. The only con is that the intake and spraybar pieces aren't the best quality. As long as you know that, you'll be fine - first one I got I broke a couple being too rough with them. The seller sent me new ones free of charge.

The UV will only be useful for green water. The flow rate is too fast for it to have a chance to kill pathogens.

I recommend these filters to everyone. You'll save yourself some money buying it on eBay. Also, you'll have to buy media for it - only comes with mechanical (filter pad).

MoneyMitch 03-08-2013 02:20 PM

i do know from experience on amazon, i bought a like new in original box light fixture off there and it was from a seller not amazon directly. well they didnt add any packageing to the item at all and just shipped the whole box. the fixture was scratched to beat hell but still worked. i did make a return but had to wait about 20 days from original purchase to actually getting a good one. but that was just my experience with it.

jaysee 03-08-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1459980)
i do know from experience on amazon, i bought a like new in original box light fixture off there and it was from a seller not amazon directly. well they didnt add any packageing to the item at all and just shipped the whole box. the fixture was scratched to beat hell but still worked. i did make a return but had to wait about 20 days from original purchase to actually getting a good one. but that was just my experience with it.

Sorry, but what's this got to do with the original post?

ZivaD 03-08-2013 03:33 PM

I have one of the versions of SunSun (I have the Aquatop) - I've only been running it about a month so far but have absolutely ZERO complaints! It is beyond quiet (I find myself putting my hand in front of the spray bar to be sure it's still moving water), and is functioning exactly as I had hoped it would. You might want to check truaqua's website to see about their prices, they have some great "deal of the day" sales on their aquatop filters.
One word of warning, if you aren't familiar with canister filters and their assembly be prepared for a few minutes of head scratching if the instructions with a SunSun are like those sent with Aquatops - as in, there are none! Fortunately I've assembled more than a few canister filters in my years so I wasn't too lost, but it still took me a few minutes to sort out what everything was and how it went together.

CallieDee 03-08-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZivaD (Post 1460078)
I have one of the versions of SunSun (I have the Aquatop) - I've only been running it about a month so far but have absolutely ZERO complaints! It is beyond quiet (I find myself putting my hand in front of the spray bar to be sure it's still moving water), and is functioning exactly as I had hoped it would. You might want to check truaqua's website to see about their prices, they have some great "deal of the day" sales on their aquatop filters.
One word of warning, if you aren't familiar with canister filters and their assembly be prepared for a few minutes of head scratching if the instructions with a SunSun are like those sent with Aquatops - as in, there are none! Fortunately I've assembled more than a few canister filters in my years so I wasn't too lost, but it still took me a few minutes to sort out what everything was and how it went together.

If I have a problem with it I will come back here and find you to ask any questions then. I ordered it a few hours ago, I'm very excited!