Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Bristlenose Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/bristlenose-breeding-131081/)

chirpchirp 03-08-2013 01:49 AM

Bristlenose Breeding

Hi there!
I am looking for some info on bristlenoses and breeding them.
Across a number of tanks I have two peppermint BN's, some calico, dark brown / black don't know the term for them and also a couple of albino bristlenoses.

essentially I have a few questions, insight for any of the questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the average size of a BN / what features or characteristics will they have when they are of sexual maturity age and ready to breed? (both male & female)

2. I know that the female lays eggs in a cave or other protected area which the make then fertilizes and guards until the little ones are ready to enter the world. what is the process of breeding for BN's incl time frames etc.

3. Any other tips, suggestions, experiences, do's our don'ts so to speak?

MY fiancÚ is super keen on breeding them but I want to get some info first otherwise I may as well be swimming in the dark ( pun intended)

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts, opinions and advice on Bristlenose breeding :)
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 03-08-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirpchirp (Post 1459501)
Hi there!
I am looking for some info on bristlenoses and breeding them.
Across a number of tanks I have two peppermint BN's, some calico, dark brown / black don't know the term for them and also a couple of albino bristlenoses.

essentially I have a few questions, insight for any of the questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the average size of a BN / what features or characteristics will they have when they are of sexual maturity age and ready to breed? (both male & female)

2. I know that the female lays eggs in a cave or other protected area which the make then fertilizes and guards until the little ones are ready to enter the world. what is the process of breeding for BN's incl time frames etc.

3. Any other tips, suggestions, experiences, do's our don'ts so to speak?

MY fiancÚ is super keen on breeding them but I want to get some info first otherwise I may as well be swimming in the dark ( pun intended)

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts, opinions and advice on Bristlenose breeding :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know anything, except I believe the male guards the eggs. I think they are pretty difficult to sex, so you may have to have a number of them, make sure you have perfect water conditions for them to breed, and go from there. I'm sure someone else will weigh in.

chirpchirp 03-08-2013 08:18 AM

Thank you :)
The easiest way to sex them I believe is from their bristle but done seem to develop earlier than others and when I think one won't get any, one pops up. Creatures of the art of illusion and confusion I think haha :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 03-08-2013 10:54 AM

I have bred the longfinned abino Bristlenose and the more common brown bristlenose.
Average size for males is around five and a half inches as adult's, with females a tad shorter.
Hard to sex them until close to three inches.
Males will begin to sprout full nose full of bristles at around three inches, and females may also have a few tiny bristles compared to the males, while some females hardly have any.
Males often are larger even when small,and head is a bit broader.(more easily seen as they grow larger).
These fish are omnivore's for the most part, but do appreciate/need some vegetable matter like zuchinni,cucumber,romain lettuce,algae wafer's,lot's of other's. You can google food's for bristlenose.
i feed mive mostly new life spectum which has lot's of fruit,vegetable matter ,and also offer shrimp pellet's,carnivore pellet's,spirulina pellet's.
Have had pair's that spawned as early as three inches,and some that took nearly a year .
Clean water,with moderate flow ,driftwood for rasping on (also help's digestion),more than one cave,log,etc when wishing to breed (let them choose).
Females when about to lay/drop egg's will become much plumper,wider at the hip's so to speak rather quickly, and after they drop egg's , the male will not be seen for a week to ten day's while fanning the egg's. After ten day's or thereabout's,,the tiny fry will have absorbed their egg sac,and begin emerging from the nesting spot but not stray too far for another couple week's.They are voracious feeder's at this time, and vehetable matter ,along with the other food's mentioned, will need to be available near all the time which often lead's to larger more frequent water changes as the fish continue to grow.
Water changes with cooler water often induces spawning, and when fish are large enough to spawn,,twice weekly 50% water changes with cooler water often produces desired result's.
Can remove the female after egg's are dropped to let her rest.
If left with the male ,,they can reproduce about every four week's assuming favorable condition's.
Adult's will show little interest in the fry once the fry migrate away from the nest but the fry make easy snack's for larger fish if they are present.
Did I mention lot's of clean water,water changes? That is the key in my view, along with proper diet.
hope some of this help's.

chirpchirp 03-08-2013 11:04 AM

That is certainly great info! Thank u very much :)
Do you know anything about the peppermints? I'm guessing it is same sort of thing re size etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 03-08-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirpchirp (Post 1459786)
That is certainly great info! Thank u very much :)
Do you know anything about the peppermints? I'm guessing it is same sort of thing re size etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

Petty generic care/size for all species of this fish.;-)

chirpchirp 03-08-2013 11:21 AM

Sweet :)
No idea how long they are at the moment some are like one inch and some are perhaps nearing two or three inches I suppose :)

I have made a few different caves with clear bottoms ask if I pick them up our angle them up against the glass then I will be able to see what its happening inside the caves so pretty chuffed with myself for thinking of making that as I am generally captain uncreative.

:)
Posted via Mobile Device