Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Mystery Snail Foot Injury or Disease? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/mystery-snail-foot-injury-disease-131049/)

Ashton 03-07-2013 08:14 PM

Mystery Snail Foot Injury or Disease?

1 Attachment(s)
Because of my fondness for mystery snails - a friend recently gave me her "sick" blue mystery snail with the hopes of me being able to help - however, I have never seen anything like this before and need some help figuring out what to do/what is going on!

From my understanding, she had this snail for about 3 months and it had been active and healthy until about a week ago. According to her, the snail remained upside down and inside its shell in the same spot on the bottom of the tank for about 5 days. Her tank is a 10 gallon with two mollies - who are pretty aggressive and liked to "annoy the snail".

I have now had her snail in my 1.5 gallon (I didn't want to put her in my 10 gallon in the case that she has something contagious) for the last 3 days. She stayed on the bottom in the same position for the first night - but yesterday started to come out of her shell a bit - but seemed to not be able to turn herself right side up - she even ate part of an algae wafer upside down. Today she was still seeming to struggle to turn herself over, so I helped her and put her right-side-up on the gravel and near the glass. She has now climed up to the top of the tank and I can see what the problem is - I just don't know it means. Her foot looks like it has been eroding, or a chunk has been pulled off, or it is some sort of fungus. I sent this picture to my friend and she told me that her foot did not look like this the last time that she saw it (about 8-10 days ago). I have been doing research all day, but have not been able to figure out what is going on.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any advice?
Thanks so much!

Silverfang 03-08-2013 08:01 AM

I can see what definitely appears to be damage to the top, like his foot had been bitten.

As for the bottom and the white, I'm not really sure. I would hazard a likely guess that his foot has been injured in some way. As for the white, I have no idea if that is fungal, or just slime. Snails will slime when there is something in the water that irritates them. I am unsure if they will slime when injured. (think of slime coat for fish).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I have no experience treating an injured apple.

Ashton 03-08-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks so much for replying! It's difficult to tell by the photo, but the white part does not look like slime - it looks more like a chunck of her foot is missing or is actually decaying. The white part is so shriveled up that she can't even use it to move around - it doesn't touch the glass when she is stuck to it either. I'm still very perplexed as to what is going on - poor thing.

Eriisuchan 03-10-2013 11:08 AM

I would guess that her fish took a few nibbles at it... I had a snail in a goldfish tank once and they ate it within a week... :-(

chirpchirp 03-10-2013 11:18 AM

Hmmm that is odd... I have one that has been in the same spot for a couple of days and has just poked its head out every now and then. I will certainly be checking it tomorrow. It too has stayed on its back during this time. Will get a pic and put it up if there is anything damage wise to the foot causing the ceasing of movement recently
hopefully Mabel comes good!

Meg.
Posted via Mobile Device