Buenos Aires Tetras - swollen gills
(Note: I've searched the forum and couldn't find a resolution that fits my situation)
I noticed on Saturday that one of my Buenos Aires Tetras has swollen gills. I have a 40g tank with 6 BA
Tetras and 4 Corys. The tetra is not acting sick, she is active with the other fish and seems to be
interested in eating (I haven't actually seen her eat because the back of my tank is a little dark). She is
not struggling to breathe and has no other signs of disease. No one else is showing any signs of disease
either. I haven't done anything new to the tank. I've had all the fish for about 8 months and the tank
itself is about 12 years old.
Anyway, I cleaned the tank on Sunday (this is my regular routine and I thought that the water quality
might be the problem). Tuesday, I checked and she still has swollen gills (the left side worse than the
right) and one tiny white dot on the back in front of tail fin. Other than that, everything else is the
same. I ran water tests on Tuesday; ammonia = 0; nitrite = 0; ph = 7.6; nitrate = 20-40.
So, I'm trying to decide what to do. I've read that aquarium salt could help but is not good for the Corys.
I'm afraid to medicate because I've never had good results in the past. I don't want this to get worse
1. What is the size of your tank? > 40g
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. > ammonia = 0; nitrite = 0;
ph = 7.6.; nitrate = 20-40 ?
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? > freshwater
4. How long the aquarium has been set up? > 12 years
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
> 6 Buenos Aires tretras, 2 bronze corydoras, 2 leopard corydoras / all about 2-2.5 inches / 8 months
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is
ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? > no
7. What temperature is the tank water currently? > 76-78
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? > no
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity. > aqueon carbon -
new filter at each cleaning.
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of
the tank)? > air pump w/ 2 3" bubblers/stones
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting
schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? > some sun in the afternoon
for about 30 minutes; LED lights from dark to dawn
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you
change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? > water change 3 days ago; 25-30 % water
change; clean tank every 2 weeks; vacuum substrate? somewhat since I have sand and gravel it's
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? > 2x/day; flakes & shrimp
pellets in AM - blood worms in PM
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? > swollen gills; one tiny white dot on back in
front of tail fin
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your
reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis. > nothing yet
only thing i can think of is gill flukes, does he breath fast through them? and you said you chenge filter when u do a tank clean with the vaccum. you are destroying your bennifictal bacteria everytime u change the filter and cause a mini cycle (which is bad on the fish and can cause disease due to stress) dont change your fitler just rub it as clean as you can in clean DEchlorinated water. this may be why the fish is showing these signs in the first place.
OK, but what do I do now? My previous fish was a pleco who died at 25 years old (yes, twenty-five, not a typo). I don't want to lose these guys after only 8 months.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.