Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   More algae please!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/more-algae-please-130819/)

HerMooness 03-05-2013 06:33 PM

More algae please!!

I know....mad right?
Just been doing my nightly tank check up and I've noticed that I can't really pick out any amount of algae anywhere in my tank.There's a touch left on my treasure chest lid but that's it.

Is there any other way I can encourage a bit more algae to grow other than just leaving the lights on all day? I have a zebra nerite snail I don't want to starve!

Will the Zed (the snail) munch on algae wafers if things get a bit desperate? I'm in town tomo and thinking of getting some but I have no other bottom feeders so I don't want to waste my money if they don't like them!

Thanks.

JDM 03-05-2013 08:18 PM

I've seen my tiger snails chow down on regular food when they happen to be in the vicinity of the feeding area. I think you could drop in some blanched veggies too.

Jeff.

MoneyMitch 03-06-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1456125)
I've seen my tiger snails chow down on regular food when they happen to be in the vicinity of the feeding area. I think you could drop in some blanched veggies too.

Jeff.

thought i read somehwre that blanched (same as boiled?) lose alot of the nurtitional value. heard it was better to server frozen as it will sink and retain nutritional vales.

tanked 03-06-2013 04:11 PM

believe i heard it suggested somewhere you could culture some on something movable like river rocks in a jar or other container. place on a window sill in direct sunlight and rotate them tank to jar as snail cleaned/needed. you may want to start with the remaining algaed treasure chest to seed your jar. may not be practical at all but just one snail? would think you could grow enough algae, dunno.

JDM 03-06-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1457171)
thought i read somehwre that blanched (same as boiled?) lose alot of the nurtitional value. heard it was better to server frozen as it will sink and retain nutritional vales.

No. Blanching is dropping the veggies into boiling water, that part is the same, but only leaving them in for a minute to soften them... slightly. You would do this before canning instead of boiling specifically because it doesn't leach out the nutrients.

You'd be surprised how much a snail will eat. I have four tigers and they cleaned house on my largish driftwood in a few days. I couldn't try to grow algae enough or them separately.

I was at the LFS today and they had little algae wafer packets for a buck. I doubt that even a small jar of algae wafers or pellets can cost much. I expect that they will eat them anyway so not likely wasted.

Jeff.

jaysee 03-06-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanked (Post 1457187)
believe i heard it suggested somewhere you could culture some on something movable like river rocks in a jar or other container. place on a window sill in direct sunlight and rotate them tank to jar as snail cleaned/needed. you may want to start with the remaining algaed treasure chest to seed your jar. may not be practical at all but just one snail? would think you could grow enough algae, dunno.

Yes, this is an excellent solution. Having a few rocks in the rotation is a good idea.

HerMooness 03-06-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks guys for your ideas, I get the afternoon sun on through my bedroom window so I might try the rotation thing, although I only have blue glass pebbles rather than rocks, would they still work? And would I need to feed the water so to speak or will the algae grow in just plain water.

With the veg...can that be anything we have left or are there certain ones in particular that are best?

JDM - I may well resort to algae wafers, I think they're about 4 in pets at home, if the other suggestions don't work out!

I'll let you know how I get on guys. Thanks a bunch!