Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Bubble Time! How long should the air pump be on for? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/bubble-time-how-long-should-air-130799/)

HerMooness 03-05-2013 03:28 PM

Bubble Time! How long should the air pump be on for?

My questions basically in the title, I have a small, not overly powerful air pump (with a CO2 filter if thats relevant), which at the moment I have on for 12 ish hours a day when I'm home. I'm going to set it up on a timer I think so how long should it be on for ideally? I can't really have it on overnight as the noise keeps me awake.

My tank is non-planted btw - I would love plants but I'm having enough trouble with the water atm!

Thanks.

:-D

nicolaas 03-06-2013 07:50 AM

I only put mine on in a lightly planted tank at night but since your is non-planted you can keep it on all day.

jaysee 03-06-2013 08:23 AM

Or you can not have it on at all. They are not necessary for the vast majority of applications, so it's really a whatever you want to do kinda deal.

HerMooness 03-06-2013 08:35 AM

Ah jolly good. That's great, thanks guys.

Just for future reference, if I was to put plants in my tank, what would I need to do then? With what has Nicolaas said leads me to believe air pumps have a part to play in planted tanks - although I thought it only oxygenated the water and plants don't need oxygen but CO2? Curious.

I'm pondering about plants with my ammonia levels....

JDM 03-06-2013 07:11 PM

Plants = no need for a bubbler

Of course enough plants, perhaps one individual medium plant per gallon, would also look after the ammonia for a reasonably fish loaded tank.

The bubbler does nothing for plants, in fact it removes CO2 so it is a bit detrimental but it won't kill them. I think planting to eliminate the noisy pump would be enough excuse to plant even if there were no other benefits.

Jeff.

MoneyMitch 03-06-2013 08:22 PM

there are people that will use bubblers when lights are off to gas off leftover co2 from injhection. unless you are using co2 injection there is no benifit from them and no harm either, they are for looks. but if you have a non co2 tank dont use a bubbler as you want to keep in as much co2 from the fish as possib even at night so that there is a nice buildup for the plants to start out with the next day.

jaysee 03-06-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1457658)
there are people that will use bubblers when lights are off to gas off leftover co2 from injhection. unless you are using co2 injection there is no benifit from them and no harm either, they are for looks. but if you have a non co2 tank dont use a bubbler as you want to keep in as much co2 from the fish as possib even at night so that there is a nice buildup for the plants to start out with the next day.

In certain tanks, there is definitely a benefit to using an air pump. In addition to aiding in the gas exchange in tanks with minimal surface disturbance, air pumps also circulate water. So, a well placed bubbler can eliminate dead spots in a tank, where a powerhead or second filter would be too much. Dead spots are common in HOB filtered tanks - circulation is not one of their strong points.

nicolaas 03-07-2013 01:40 AM

I put the air stone on at night to put in oxygen when the lights are off, otherwise the next morning the fish are gasping.

I only have like 3 and a half amazon swords.

rexpepper651 03-07-2013 01:45 AM

i used to have a 12in bubble bar and a 8in when my tank had no plants on 24/7

rexpepper651 03-07-2013 01:46 AM

that was in my 55 gallon. i wouldnt suggest that in a small tank lol it would be like a Jacuzzi lol