Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How does this stocking scheme sound? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-does-stocking-scheme-sound-130703/)

otter 03-04-2013 06:13 PM

How does this stocking scheme sound?

My younger sister owns a male crowntail betta.. this poor little fellow isn't under the best care as my sister is 9 years old and knows very little about fish.
He is currently living in a 1.5 gallon.

I have a spare 10 gallon tank that I was thinking of letting her use for her betta.
Her betta is relatively mellow, so I do not think that he would be too aggressive towards tank mates.. he seems chill when I put him in my guppy tank (I put him in a cup floating in the tank during water changes) He doesn't flare at them.

Anyways.. I was thinking for this 10 gallon tank... 4-5 oto cats and possibly an african dwarf frog?

I do not know much about african dwarf frogs, but I do know a little about oto cats.

Do any of you think that this stocking scheme will work out?
I am slightly worried about the frog because it has limbs, and I do not want the betta to nibble at them.

If you guys have any suggestions for a betta stocking scheme, I would love to hear about it.

DragonFyre14 03-04-2013 06:25 PM

I think the stocking sounds fine. I've heard African Dwarf Frogs suggested to be with bettas before. It seems they don't typically evoke aggression from bettas but I believe (don't hold me to this) I have heard of a type of frog attack bettas.

jaysee 03-04-2013 07:56 PM

I've kept dwarf frogs with bettas for a while - never been a problem for me. I think your stocking plan is doable. One thing I would suggest is cultivating algae rocks to feed the ottos. You can have several, so that you can swap them out as they are cleaned by the ottos.

JDM 03-05-2013 09:32 AM

I'm currently keeping a betta with cherry barb , emerald catfish , and cherry shrimp with no problems... I wouldn't recommend putting the betta in with much of anything normally but if you must try it, you can make out OK.

Oto cats are probably about as passive and non-provoking as anything going and were on my original list to keep until my water turned out to be unsuitable for them. Be sure that there are plants in the tank though, they do best in a planted aquarium.

Jeff.

erinbirdsong 03-05-2013 09:53 AM

I currently have a betta with a dwarf frog and some julli cories in our 10 gal and they all are getting along just fine.

fish keeper 2013 03-07-2013 07:55 PM

bettas are generally peaceful unless put with other bettas, and are sometimes agressive against fish with colorful fins similar to theirs, octo cats and african dwarf frogs should be okay

otter 03-07-2013 08:29 PM

yup I know--
I have a sorority myself, I just wasn't sure what could live in such a small tank--10 gal.
I think I will just do a split tank