Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What do you think of my stock? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-do-you-think-my-stock-130686/)

hunterg17 03-04-2013 01:44 PM

What do you think of my stock?

Well i finally got my tank cycled. Got rid of my Kissing Gourami and my 6 cherry barbs. So i finally thing i decided what i all want. As of right now i have as follows:

7 Kuhli Loaches
2 Yoyo Loaches
4 Ghost shrimp
1 Longfin Bristlenose Pleco
5 Dwarf Gouramis(3 red flame, 2 powder blue)
3 Opaline Gouramis(1 male 2 female)

And on friday i will be adding a school of 6 Loxozonus Cory's, 10 Cherry shrimp,5 Amanos, and 3 more kuhli loaches.

I have also wanted to get some Pearl Gouramis, i was thinking of re-homing 2-3 dwarfs and 1 opaline to make it easier for them what do you guys think?

jaysee 03-04-2013 01:50 PM

I would absolutely not mix pearls with 3 spots. While they are of the same genus, they are VERY different temperaments. The pearls are far too docile.

As far as the stock goes - its not something that I would ever consider doing, nor would I ever suggest such a stocking. Just too many gouramis.

hunterg17 03-04-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1454348)
I would absolutely not mix pearls with 3 spots. While they are of the same genus, they are VERY different temperaments. The pearls are far too docile.

Well thats kind of what i got from reading, but then you start seeing about how they can be just as aggressive. I was also thinking of re-homing all 3 Opalines and getting 4-5 Pearls if it would work out to be less aggressive.

EDIT: Didn't see your last part you said there. Why not? Everything has been fine in my tank aggression wise and they are pretty interesting fish all together.

jaysee 03-04-2013 04:05 PM

If a pearl is ever as aggressive as a 3 spot, it's not a happy fish, for one reason or another. There are always accounts of fish not acting as they "should". While some fish are just rogue, most of the time it's an environmental issue that is causing them to act that way.

In my experience pearls are group oriented. Mine enjoy the company of their own kind very much. A group of 4-5 would be fine, provided the tank were large enough. I had trouble seeing your aquarium info on my phone, so I don't know what you have.

As far as all the gouramis - when I tried to keep multiple dwarf gouramis I had huge problems. Many others have as well. It's likely that stress is keeping them all in line, or maybe you just get lucky with the ones you got. Not sure how long you've had them together, but things can just up and change one day. I can't tell you how many times I've refrained from saying "I told you so".

How big is the tank?

Byron 03-04-2013 04:07 PM

What size tank is this? There are some issues but we need to know the size to adequately advise.

Depending upon the size, before increasing the kuhli loach I would increase the Yo Yo Loach. All loaches are shoaling fish, and 5 should be the minimum with few exceptions. They are highly social and will get very stressed on their own (just 2). And aside from their health, it could cause other problems.

The gourami issue is a bit odd, but again the tank size plays into this. But as was mentioned, I would not mix Blue Gourami [this is the Opaline, 3-spot, gold... species] and Pearl Gourami. And with the Blue species I would not have any other gourami.

As for things seeming OK now, this can suddenly change. We as aquarists must always remind ourselves that we are dealing with living creatures that have basic instincts and temperaments according to their species. While some fish can be more, and some less, obvious in these, it is still the normal basic instinct/temperament. Sometimes as fish mature, or as they settle into a new environment, they develop those tendencies more than they show initially. This is to be expected. The wise aquarist considers the "probable" and plans for it, not pushing the envelope (so to speak) which is at best a risk but at worst--and more commonly--a disaster in the making.

Edit. Almost forgot, the shrimp. Remember that crustaceans are natural food to almost all our fish, so any fish with a sufficient sized mouth will attempt to eat shrimp.

Byron.

hunterg17 03-04-2013 07:59 PM

The tank is a 55Gallon.

My dwarfs are great together they never show any aggression towards each other they all hang out with one another. I'm not worried about the compatibility in my tank with the fish in it in just wondering the best case scenario if I wanted to get some pearls
Posted via Mobile Device

hunterg17 03-04-2013 08:05 PM

My yoyo's are also extremely happy I know that's for sure lol there really neat little things
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-04-2013 08:27 PM

Loaches are highly social fish that develop complex hierarchies. As certain as you are that they are "happy", we are more certain that it would be best to get more. You can't wish away the nature of a fish, but you can convince yourself that it's not important.

You could keep a group of 4-5 pearls in a 55, though I won't sign off on it because of the DGs. In my experience, it did not end well.

Sanguinefox 03-04-2013 11:48 PM

I've kept a few different species of Botia. I've never seen them as healthy and active as when they are able to group/play/chase/sleep with their own kind. Even in my mixed tank I see them having a preference of their own species. I have seen first hand how over time if they are forced to live in a smaller species how it can affect their behavior/health.

You need to either take the yoyo back to the pet store, or bring 4-5 more home.

hunterg17 03-05-2013 12:35 AM

I can honestly say they are fine. They are always out chasing eachother around and going in and out of the driftwood there is no way they could be any better i am not ignoring anything.