Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Need Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/need-help-13068/)

tyler12345 03-19-2008 04:48 PM

Need Help!

Every night I am scared to turn on my light for my 38 gallon fish tank. Why? To see how many Physa snails I have. They are f***ing everywhere and I can't stand them. I take out at least 50 a day to no avail. So I guess it's time for me to get a loach.

Heres the problem: I have 3 mystery snails that I really like. I also have guppies and tetras. What loach can I get that will not bother those other fish?

fish_4_all 03-19-2008 07:12 PM

Well there are a coule things you can try before getting another fish. The first is to feed less. I know it seems like the fish are always hungry but they will survive a little less to eat to each day. The next thing you cant ry is trapping them. This can be done with a small neck bottle, about 1/2 inch max with some blanched romaine or lettuce in it. Drop it in the tank and turn off the lights so they come out to feed. The will climb in the bottle and you can remove them that way. The more bottles oyu oput in the more you get out each time. Also try and clean the gravel really wellwith a gravel vac to remove dead plant matter and food so they have less to eat.

If you do get a loach, stay away from Skunk loaches. Clowns will also get too big.

tyler12345 03-19-2008 07:22 PM

I think I'll try the letuce tommorow. Thanks for that.

But what kind of loach will eat small snails, like mentioned, and not mystery snails?

fish_4_all 03-19-2008 09:50 PM

When I had my skunk botia loaches they didn't bother the mystery snails as lng as they had small snails to eat. Once the small ones were gone they killed and ate one fo the mysteries.

To be honest I am not sure that there is one that will not bother mystery snails. Maybe some of the smaller ones that will eat snails but I do not know which ones.

blueblue48 03-19-2008 11:47 PM

this might be wierd or a rarity or something but, i have a yoyo loach thats about 2 inches, i dont feed him any baby snails, he only eats algae, and he leaves my mystery snail alone. idk maybe its because the mystery snail is like 1.5 inches in diameter but it works for me.

Lupin 03-20-2008 01:26 AM

Tyler, you will have to either give up your mystery snails and guppies or take them to another tank if you want a group of loaches. You must willingly treat them like your other fish if you wish to keep them.

Yoyos are out of the question. They are very boisterous and a 38g certainly does no have enough room for full grown ones at 5-6 inches. Skunk loaches are also out of the question. They are extremely aggressive and will kill your other fish as fish_4_all pointed out earlier.

You will want the Botia dario, Botia striata, Botia kubotai or Botia histrionica. Please make sure you keep one species in a group of 3-5. It is cruel IMO to deprive them of their company by keeping only less than three. They are sociable fish and will not show up a lot if kept less in number.

Good luck.