Dastardly Danio Death
Hello all, I am hoping that someone can help me find the cause of death for my Zebra Danios. Further description will be included after the basic form:
1. Size of tank? 15 gallon tall
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0-.25 ppm. Darker than 0 but definitively lighter than .25ppm. According to the water district it is .18 ppm out of the tap.
b. Nitrite? 0 ppm. .13 ppm out of tap.
c. Nitrate? 0-5ppm. Darker than 0, lighter than 5 ppm.
d. pH, KH and GH? pH: 7.4, GH: 8 dGH, KH: 7dKH
e. Test kit? API Master Liquid.
3. Temperature? 75 F
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Cycled for 7 weeks, stocked yesterday.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? I have 6 Pearl Danio at 1-1.75" and 4 Zebra Danio (2 deceased) at 1-1.25". I purchased and stocked them yesterday.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period? No, these were the first fish in the tank.
8. a. Any live plants? Several live plants: Hornwort, Crypt wendtii, A couple varieties of sword, and a couple unknown grass-like things. No fake plants.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Eco-Complete.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? 1 large piece of quartzite and a piece of malaysian driftwood.
9. a. Filtration? Standard Eclipse 1 Filtration--Sponge Media over carbon.
b. Heater? Aqueon 100W
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 12 hrs/day lighting. 15 W “Life-Glo” 6700k full spectrum T8 bulb
b. Any sunlight exposure? Indirect/none
11. a. Water change schedule? 1/wk
b. Volume of water changed? 30%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? Kordon NovAqua+
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Haven't needed to.
12. Foods? Omega One Freshwater Flakes
How often are they fed? 1x day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? First deceased fish displayed no symptoms, died overnight. Body appeared to have internal bleeding. Second deceased fist started darting erratically, losing control of swimming, sinking to bottom. He would then suddenly revive for 15-30 seconds and do it all over again. Both were eating. Currently concerned with one other fish. He is clearly the runt. He does not swim much and does not eat. Color is lacking. The fourth fish isolates himself among the plants at the bottom and chases away all other fish that come near him. All afflicted fish are Zebra Danios. All Pearl Danios are fine.
b. Appearance of poop? No chance to witness.
c. Appearance of gills? The deceased fish had no gill issues. The third, runt fish had reddish gills yesterday but they have since returned to normal. The fourth fish has slightly reddened gills.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No
b. What meds were used? N/A
I have had this tank running since early January for cycling purposes. I only stocked it yesterday. I know I added quite a few fish at once, but they are both schooling species so I thought it would be better to add them all at once. Once I noticed the runt fish yesterday, I thought he would die overnight but he is still alive. The two deceased fish seemed to be the healthiest of the bunch.
Why are my fish dying?
May have stocked too many fish at once.
I was thinking that. I was only going to add one school of the Pearls but then I saw the Zebras and thought a school of each would be cool. It was against my better judgement. I'm paying for it now. I returned home from work today and found 2 dead Zebras and 1 on the verge of death. All the Pearls and the last Zebra seem fine. After removing the 2 deceased Zebras, I tested the water: 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, <5 Nitrate. pH, KH, GH all the same. I did a 50% water change after the tests in case there is some sort of pathogen in the water. Are there any diseases that only affect Zebra Danios?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.