Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angelfish taken to hiding recently...any thoughts? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-taken-hiding-recently-any-thoughts-130349/)

beano129 03-01-2013 03:49 AM

Angelfish taken to hiding recently...any thoughts?

Hey all,

I went to feed my fish today and my koi angel was hiding behind my tank features... He was usually so bold and out there but this last couple of days he's just been hiding.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have added some more fish recently but only little Corys.

fish monger 03-01-2013 06:10 AM

What else is in the tank besides the angel and cories ? Any changes in temperature, parameters, decor ?

rexpepper651 03-01-2013 06:13 AM

my angelfish always hide. they stick together. if they arent hidding they are chasing eachother around but but most the time they hide in the jungle val and around the filter inlet tube

jeaninel 03-01-2013 01:12 PM

A change in behavior usually indicates something may be going on, especially if he normally is out and about and active. Did you test your water for ammonia and nitrites? Did you check to see if there are any eggs? I've had single females lay eggs by themselves with no partner.

My angelfish are like little puppies always begging at the glass when I'm near, and especially at feeding time. Lol

beano129 03-01-2013 02:14 PM

Hey all,

When I added my Angels they we initiated into a tank with 4 tetras and 2 Corys. I added 2 angels together being the koi angel and the Marbel angel.

Since they have been in I've added 2 Molly's and then another 6 Corys. The Molly's went in 2 weeks ago and the Corys last week.

I checked the water and everything is totally fine.. No ammonia or nitrite and I'll check for nitrate shortly however I am due to water change today.

There has been a big change in temp recently. The tank got up to 28 deg C in the hot Aussie weather and in the last couple of days has dropped to 24 deg C which should't have got so low because I set my heater at 25 deg C so I've just adjusted my heater now.

Normally the angel koi is the dominant fish at feeding time but yesterday he never came out from his hiding spot and he's hiding again today... Well he comes out when no ones there but as soon as I enter the room he goes into hiding which he never did before because he was more like the puppy begging for food every time I entered the room.

All the rest of the fish and my Marbel angel appear unchanged.

NewFishFiend 03-01-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 1450324)
A change in behavior usually indicates something may be going on, especially if he normally is out and about and active. Did you test your water for ammonia and nitrites? Did you check to see if there are any eggs? I've had single females lay eggs by themselves with no partner.

My angelfish are like little puppies always begging at the glass when I'm near, and especially at feeding time. Lol

Hahahah thats exactly like my angels. I have 5. I started with 2 babies that are now a lil bigger than quarters and then when i moved them to the 75 gallon i got 3 more to go with them. The 2 original are such beggers. The new 3 are starting to come around too. 3 of them are koi angels and 2 of them are striped ( and rather large at this point). We put some platys in with them.... Big mistake. Already lost 4 to them being eaten alive by the angels. Im still learning how much to feed them. I know they will just eat and eat. Never know if they r gettin enough.... They get flake food and frozen worms/shrimp.

Byron 03-02-2013 07:15 PM

I agree with jeaninel that the sudden change in behaviour likely indicates something is wrong.

Have you observed any aggression to this fish by the other angel? Sit quietly in front of the tank for a good space of time, not moving so they forget you are there, and see how they interact (if they do at all).

Another thought is something may have come in with the new fish; were they quarantined?

Byron.

beano129 03-02-2013 07:55 PM

Hi Byron,

No worries - ill try that later tonight after I've done my water change.

I've been keeping my eye on the tank and here's the full story of what I've noticed over the last few days.

In answer to the quarantine question, the simple answer is no.

I saw something ball shaped under my angel yesterday, I'm not sure whether it was poo with a bubble or something a bit more egg shaped. Hard to really say because I didn't have enough time or a good enough angle to really tell.

He does still come out when I'm not in the room but then pops back to his little hidey spot as soon as I enter the room.

He didn't come out during feeding time on Friday and this is the very first time he's ever missed a feed like that.

I have been keeping an eye on the tetras and haven't noticed them start to gang-up on any other fish or get nippy.

I've been testing the water and everything is absolutely fine and all the other fish are excellent.

Are there any other questions?

Thanks all