Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   75 gallon tank cycled! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/75-gallon-tank-cycled-130268/)

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 02:13 AM

75 gallon tank cycled!

Hey guys! Well here is an update. I got my 75 gallon tank cycled (0,0,10) and haved added my 2 angelfish and my 4 tetras (yes I know that my stocking is not great, but I wanted them out of the 30 gallon with the tiger barbs). My live plants are growing and everything is on track. Tomorrow I'm going to the LFS and cannot decide what else to stock my tank with! My angels are my most favorite fish I have. I know I need non-aggressive, slow moving fish, but I'm not loving the suggestions on the Angelfish page. Any recommendations? I'd like to have a lil variety in this tank.

Also, as I've stated in another thread, my 3 barbs are by themselves in the 30 gallon now and they are miserable. We are going to donate them to the LFS. My male is just dominating the tank and the females are stressed to the max. The 30 gallon is cycled as well and we would like to start a new stock of community fish. We are going to get live plants for it as well. Any suggestions on good 30 gallon community fish stocking?

I love love love this forum. I am an addict to both the hobby and the website haha. I very much appreciate all the wonderful insight and information! keep it coming!!

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 03:02 AM

mistakes, mistakes, and more mistakes

Hi all! I have posted under other categories, but feel this category is pertinent for some questions. I am new to the hobby and started with a 30 gallon tank with (gasp) 4 black neon tetras, 2 angelfish, 3 tiger barbs. I quickly learned this was a mistake. Got a 75 gallon tank up and cycled and added my 4 tetras first, then introduced my 2 angels. Now after reading some in this forum, I feel I have once again made a mistake....

I love my angels. They are my favorite fish so far. I have a gold marbled and a black marbled. They are about a quarter in size in the body. I have no idea if they are male or female. The 2 of them hang out all the time, and I haven't seen any aggression. I've had them together from the start. The gold one is slightly larger and is obviously the boss, but s/he hasn't shown any aggression yet. I have no idea if they are a pair or not. After reading, I see I should have bought 5 instead of 2. I've had them for about 2.5 months. Tomorrow I was going to my LFS to get more fish for my 75 gallon. I want to rectify my mistake of just having 2 angels, but now I'm scared they won't be accepted by the original 2. They are still young and it is a big, well planted tank. So, I guess my question is, buy 3 more angels about the same size as the 2 I have and hope for the best or leave well enough alone and stock with more of the black neon tetras (to give them a school of about 10 instead of just 4) and other compatible fish?

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 03:43 AM

okay, so after some research, and aqadvisor, I've come up with this

10 Black neon Tetras
3 more angelfish (for a total of 5)
2 bolivian rams
10 harlequin rasbora

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 03:45 AM

okay, so after some research, i think i've decided that ima give it a whirl and add 3 more angels and also:

6 more black neon tetras (for a total of 10)
2 bolivian rams
10 harlequin rasbora

thoughts?

rexpepper651 02-28-2013 04:02 AM

you wont be able to tell for a while. which sex they are mine are 8 months old now and just been able to figure it out. here is a site that will help when the day comes. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=75528. mine used to be lovely lil buddies now it seems one is more aggressive then they other. no nipped fins just some chasing aroundf the tank. adding neons while the angelfish are still young would be a good idea. some people think that if added at such a young age they wont eat the neons or harm them. its a risk seeing as angelfish do get rather large. adding angelfish while they are still very small and young is your best bet. even tho i had bought 2 then another two a few weeks later i found the two new ones dead. not sure if it was from my buenos aires tetras or the other angels but the 4 angelfish were of same size. just keep researching an asking questions. this is just all stuff ive found from keeping my angels and my experience so far.

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 1448599)
you wont be able to tell for a while. which sex they are mine are 8 months old now and just been able to figure it out. here is a site that will help when the day comes. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=75528. mine used to be lovely lil buddies now it seems one is more aggressive then they other. no nipped fins just some chasing aroundf the tank. adding neons while the angelfish are still young would be a good idea. some people think that if added at such a young age they wont eat the neons. its a risk seeing as angelfish do get rather large.

I'm going to give it a shot with the tetras. If they become angelfish food.... well.... such is the cycle of life. Ideally I would not want that, but I'm willing to take the risk. I'm hoping my LFS has the fish I want lol.

rexpepper651 02-28-2013 04:20 AM

worth the risk. i was worried about my bloodfin tetras getting eatin since they are so small but i havent lost any fish to my angels. no shrimp on the other hand is a diff story lol

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 1448608)
worth the risk. i was worried about my bloodfin tetras getting eatin since they are so small but i havent lost any fish to my angels. no shrimp on the other hand is a diff story lol

I wanted to get some snails for my 75 gallon tank too. Good idea?

rexpepper651 02-28-2013 06:20 AM

for sure!! snails are fun to watch. none of the fish you listed are able to eat snails. good addition to a clean up crew.

NewFishFiend 02-28-2013 08:05 AM

Is there a rule as to how many for size tanks and suck for snails. If i put snails in my new 75 gallon (cycled) with minimum fish at this point, would they starve? Any suggestions on a type of snail or does it matter?
Posted via Mobile Device