Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   strange pregnancy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/strange-pregnancy-13021/)

tran2255 03-17-2008 09:05 PM

strange pregnancy

Hi everyone, i got a wierd situation on my hands. I got two platies whom i think are pregnant. they are both light fish, so you can see through them, and i can see the dark spot above their anal fin. I'm guessing they're pregnant cuz no other platy got it except those two, so im sure theyre pregnant. the strange thing is, that they've been pregnant for more than two months!! I've only seen one baby platy a month ago, and he didnt survive a day. Both of them still have their dark spot, growing ever so bigger for the past 2 months, with only one baby seen a month ago.

at first i thought that one of them gave birth and the babies were all eaten but one, but then why is the gravid spot still there? weird. What could it be? could i have been mistaken?

It'sJames 03-17-2008 09:25 PM

I know that they can store sperm for quite a while, and use it for several batches of eggs. Maybe she gave birth and started on the next batch! lol

tran2255 03-19-2008 09:05 PM

hmmmmm

that seems to be a possibilitty. hoever, if that was true, than that means their dark spot must go away after pregnancy, and come back in like a week or so right? I kept an eye on their pregnancy the entire time, and dont remember ever seeing a time when the dark spot was absent.

It'sJames 03-19-2008 10:10 PM

That's true... it would have gone away for a bit.

okiemavis 03-20-2008 08:47 PM

It sounds like you just got them, so they're probably long. My guppy was pregnant for over 2 months the first time before she gave birth. I'd assume it'd true with all livebearers that the first pregnancy can last more than 2x as long.

tran2255 03-26-2008 09:09 AM

i did not konw that, and yes i did just get them. it that true? guess you learn something everyday.

I got another question, how do they give birth, is it like one at a time or is it like all at once in rapid succession?

fish_4_all 03-26-2008 12:03 PM

Live bearers can actually carry 2 batches of eggs at the same time. I have had them drop different batches of fry within 2 weeks of each other. The gravid spot never went away even after 6 different batches of fry over 6 months. I have even had guppies that kept the gravid spot and seemed to pregnant continually for almost a year.

tran2255 03-31-2008 10:07 PM

Here's an update.

Its been 2 1/12 months now since they got pregnant. I've manage to save 3 fries i found from getting eaten. To my knowledge, the spot hasnt gone away the entire 2.5 months, strange huh? A whole batch must have gotten eaten without me knowing, but how? the plot thickens.

Falina 03-31-2008 10:18 PM

It's not unusual for the gravid spot to stay put. They can stre sperm and as fish4all already mentioned they can carry 2 pregnancies at the same time, at different levels of development.

It's not too unlikely that a whole bacth could be eaten in a short space of time. From my experience platys, of all the livebearers, will eat their young far more readily than others and will hunt them down in their hiding places whereas other livebearers are content only to eat the ones brave enough to venture out into the open.

It sounds very much normal and nothing to worry about to me.