Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Quick t8 fluorescent bulb question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/quick-t8-fluorescent-bulb-question-130178/)

LadyKeiva 02-27-2013 10:38 AM

Quick t8 fluorescent bulb question
 
Mornin'!

Been trying to get a new fluorescent bulb for the strip light on my new planted 5 gallon tank. The tank uses a 16" single bulb T8 fixture. I've been to 3 different hardware stores and 3 different pet/aquarium stores and I'm finding it next to impossible to find the bulbs that fit the 16"strip light. Found 1 or 2 but they did not have the proper lighting for plants.

I stumbled upon this one online: (the 15" bulb)
Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Aqueon Full Spectrum Daylight Fluorescent Lamp

and I was wondering if that would work okay? I was looking for something closer to the 6700K range but haven't found any bulbs small enough.

If anyone else could link me something better if this does not suffice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance =)
Jessica

Byron 02-27-2013 11:35 AM

I have found that the tubes in hardware-type stores are the more common sizes, which makes sense considering their normal market in construction and home use. I use these over my larger tanks (48-inch tubes). Getting tubes for the "odd size" aquarium fixtures usually means having to go with a tube manufactured for an aquarium.

The Aqueon is one, but not one I would get. I have one of these, it came with my Aqueon fixture, and it is not worth anything; I chucked it in the recycling.

Good tubes are the Life-Glo (Hagen), and the UltraSun (ZooMed). The LG is 6700K and the US is 6500K. I use the Life-Glo on all my single tube tanks because it is more intense light for the size and it is a good balanced light.

There may be other similar tubes but I have not tried them so I would not want to recommend them. The LifeGlo is slightly more expensive, but in an experiment over several months using different tubes on my 29g there was absolutely no doubt but that this tube provided the more intense and better light; plant growth was good [the plants began dying under other tubes].

Byron.

LadyKeiva 02-27-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1447477)
I have found that the tubes in hardware-type stores are the more common sizes, which makes sense considering their normal market in construction and home use. I use these over my larger tanks (48-inch tubes). Getting tubes for the "odd size" aquarium fixtures usually means having to go with a tube manufactured for an aquarium.

The Aqueon is one, but not one I would get. I have one of these, it came with my Aqueon fixture, and it is not worth anything; I chucked it in the recycling.

Good tubes are the Life-Glo (Hagen), and the UltraSun (ZooMed). The LG is 6700K and the US is 6500K. I use the Life-Glo on all my single tube tanks because it is more intense light for the size and it is a good balanced light.

There may be other similar tubes but I have not tried them so I would not want to recommend them. The LifeGlo is slightly more expensive, but in an experiment over several months using different tubes on my 29g there was absolutely no doubt but that this tube provided the more intense and better light; plant growth was good [the plants began dying under other tubes].

Byron.

I intended to buy the Life-Glo one. One of the two bulbs in my 55's fixture is a Life-Glo. I cannot for the life of me find the Life-Glo in the 15" bulb size though. Quite frustrating actually. I can't even find anything comparable in that size. Even on Amazon I'm having crap luck.

I didn't think of ZooMed, I always see it in the reptile sections so I usually pass it up. Woult the UltraSun work well??

Quite frustrating. =P

Byron 02-27-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKeiva (Post 1447490)
I intended to buy the Life-Glo one. One of the two bulbs in my 55's fixture is a Life-Glo. I cannot for the life of me find the Life-Glo in the 15" bulb size though. Quite frustrating actually. I can't even find anything comparable in that size. Even on Amazon I'm having crap luck.

I didn't think of ZooMed, I always see it in the reptile sections so I usually pass it up. Woult the UltraSun work well??

Quite frustrating. =P

The UltraSun comes in 15-inch length, here it is at Big Al's Canada:
6,500K Ultra Sun T8 Fluorescent Lamp - 14 W - 15"

I know the Life-Glo is also in all lengths, but can't track it down at the moment.

Just make sure you get T8. The T5's are becoming so common now, but they won't fit/work.

LadyKeiva 02-27-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1447551)
The UltraSun comes in 15-inch length, here it is at Big Al's Canada:
6,500K Ultra Sun T8 Fluorescent Lamp - 14 W - 15"

I know the Life-Glo is also in all lengths, but can't track it down at the moment.

Just make sure you get T8. The T5's are becoming so common now, but they won't fit/work.

Yeah I tracked down the Ultra Sun one on amazon. But I can't even find the 15 inch Life-Glo on Amazon, under the bulbs that Hagen themselves sell on there. It's crazy.

Thanks a bunch, definitely a huge help. As always =)

beaslbob 02-27-2013 12:42 PM

For lotsa tanks especially small and in between ones I like using 6500k spiral screw in flourescent bulbs. I just use round reflectors and place them on a 1/4" square plastic grid egg crate.

my .02

LadyKeiva 02-27-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaslbob (Post 1447560)
For lotsa tanks especially small and in between ones I like using 6500k spiral screw in flourescent bulbs. I just use round reflectors and place them on a 1/4" square plastic grid egg crate.

my .02

Its a good idea, I wish I had looked into it before hand but I already have a T8 strip light for it. Don't really feel like changing it around.

The tank was bought and scrambled together in a day or two (where as usually I spend WEEKS picking out equipment, plants, etc). But I had stumbled upon a BEAUTIFUL betta on AquaBid and the thought of someone else getting him was not agreeing with me :-). I needed to put together a tank in haste. Tank itself looks gorgeous.. the equipment is making me want to hulk-rage though.

I had 0 equipment problems with my 55 or the QT, this light issue is now the 3rd one to come up since setting up the tank last week. I'm losing my mind. The tank itself is some strange/obscure brand (checked their company and can't find anything on lids), and the glass canopy that I bought is too long by less than an eighth of an inch..a hair really. Just enough to not fit into the grooves. I doubt I'll find a top that will fit so now I have to take it to my friends glass shop to sand it down.

/joy

rexpepper651 02-28-2013 01:06 AM

sorry ot be off topic kinda but would a Life-Glo 6500k tube work better then using a normal 6500k Phillips tube normally found in local diy stores?

beaslbob 02-28-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKeiva (Post 1447576)
Its a good idea, I wish I had looked into it before hand but I already have a T8 strip light for it. Don't really feel like changing it around.

The tank was bought and scrambled together in a day or two (where as usually I spend WEEKS picking out equipment, plants, etc). But I had stumbled upon a BEAUTIFUL betta on AquaBid and the thought of someone else getting him was not agreeing with me :-). I needed to put together a tank in haste. Tank itself looks gorgeous.. the equipment is making me want to hulk-rage though.

I had 0 equipment problems with my 55 or the QT, this light issue is now the 3rd one to come up since setting up the tank last week. I'm losing my mind. The tank itself is some strange/obscure brand (checked their company and can't find anything on lids), and the glass canopy that I bought is too long by less than an eighth of an inch..a hair really. Just enough to not fit into the grooves. I doubt I'll find a top that will fit so now I have to take it to my friends glass shop to sand it down.

/joy


for rectangular tanks, I just let lowes cut some glass to fit.

my .02

beaslbob 02-28-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 1448549)
sorry ot be off topic kinda but would a Life-Glo 6500k tube work better then using a normal 6500k Phillips tube normally found in local diy stores?


I don't think anyone without an expensive photo spectrum analyzer would notice any difference.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2