Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bronze Cories Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bronze-cories-breeding-130173/)

fashionfobie 02-27-2013 08:24 AM

Bronze Cories Breeding

I have purchased bronze cories last week. They are already courting and laying eggs. It is really exciting to see them so well adjusted, but it seems really quick. I am curious if anyone has experiences to share about their bronze cories.

:)

~Natalie

SeaHorse 02-27-2013 01:03 PM

I have Cories but have never seen eggs or babies.... I'm dying to see pics as this goes forward!! A few members in here... YES have had Cory Fry! Hopefully they will respond and give you some advice!

Xeek 03-24-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1447506)
I have Cories but have never seen eggs or babies.... I'm dying to see pics as this goes forward!! A few members in here... YES have had Cory Fry! Hopefully they will respond and give you some advice!

I've also never seen my cories lay eggs. They do pair up and what looks like courting behavior. From what I've read they will eat their eggs rather quickly. I don't think its likely you'll have babies unless you remove the adults from the eggs.

Thoth 03-24-2013 08:21 PM

Cory egg eating varies by species. The dwarf species C. habrosus and C. pygmaeus are well know for not being egg eaters. I have had no issue with my C similis and C paleatus eating eggs but my C sterbai have become semi egg eaters as they have aged. It appears that the rival female that seems to breed a week before/after the others is the one to eat the eggs. I would still advise that the eggs be removed as soon as possible. I would wait until it appears that they are done mating as moving the eggs will usually stop the mating behavior.

Cant seem to post pics anymore... I have some pics of babies in my aquarium section.

jaysee 03-24-2013 08:37 PM

Have you seen the T position (2 corys forming the letter T) yet?

Thoth 03-24-2013 09:05 PM

Yes, but I have not had any good pictures of it yet. I have never seen the C similis breed but I have seen the C sterbai and C paleatus in the T position.

jaysee 03-24-2013 09:18 PM

I actually meant that for the OP, but all are welcome to answer ;-) I just assumed you have Thoth :-)

Thoth 03-24-2013 10:03 PM

:oops: oh missed that....

jaysee 03-24-2013 10:07 PM

Understandable - I was anything but clear.

nicolaas 03-25-2013 08:13 AM

I had bronze corys. Breeding is very easy but raising the fry is a bit harder but not impossible.
The pear that are spawning wound eat there eggs for 2 to 3 days,but the others will from minute one.

Try to spawn them in there own tank as there eggs are very sticky and you might damage them if you remove them.

Feed them often but not to much as this will spoil the water.
I fed mine Tetra Prima because I did not have fry food at that time and it worked fine but not grate.