Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   is this a jack Dempsey? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/jack-dempsey-130151/)

Nikikim 02-27-2013 12:28 AM

is this a jack Dempsey?

1 Attachment(s)
This fish was given to me. I was told its a Jack dempsey. when I look it up he doesnt really look like any of the pictures I find online.... does anyone know if it is indeed a Jack dempsey? Or some other fish all together?

jeaninel 02-27-2013 01:34 AM

Yes, a Jack Dempsey. Looks female to me.

1077 02-27-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 1447124)
Yes, a Jack Dempsey. Looks female to me.

+one.
Is good looking fish.:nicefish:

Nikikim 02-28-2013 12:25 AM

It is a beaut no doubt.... but we (the kids) named her(?) Jack... maybe Jackie will do?

MoneyMitch 02-28-2013 08:58 PM

wow amazing looking fish, usually see that kind of beauty from wild caught

Nikikim 02-28-2013 11:36 PM

Yea apparently the person whom I got him from said he wanted a community tank and he was alone since he got him cuz he killed everything. My tank was over run with baby convicts so i figured he could come in and take care of business. I knew the parents wouldn't let him get out of control and they would take care of him if he got too greedy. He has done well. The babies are down to a minimum and he is living very happily with all his tank mates. He is our favorite fish. So much personality. Him and the Green terror. We call him Gimpy Green.... his fins are all mangled from his earlier days but he is HUGE so no one messes with him anymore. When I sit in front of the tank he will come right up to the glass and follow my face. I think he is trying to intimidate me and bite the glass, but I prefer to think he is playing with me =)

Nikikim 02-28-2013 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gimpy Green... he is about 7 inches long. Big dude.

rexpepper651 03-01-2013 12:56 AM

you used a fish for population control??

Nikikim 03-01-2013 01:51 AM

You make me sound so horrible.... I am new to fish. I lost my gramma and took on her fish tank after she passed a month ago. Her tank was highly neglected and I know nothing about fish. There were hundreds of fry swimming around in the tank and I asked around/called around and most of the responses I got were to give them up as feeder fish. Prior to about a week or so ago I didn't have the tank at my home. I didnt have access to the tank daily. I brought this fish in thinking he was pretty and having a viscous past (according to the previous owner) would eat up some of the fry. So to answer your question Yes. Now the tank is here with me. The tank is clean, the fish are happy and I love them.

Strand 03-01-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikikim (Post 1449829)
You make me sound so horrible.... I am new to fish. I lost my gramma and took on her fish tank after she passed a month ago. Her tank was highly neglected and I know nothing about fish. There were hundreds of fry swimming around in the tank and I asked around/called around and most of the responses I got were to give them up as feeder fish. Prior to about a week or so ago I didn't have the tank at my home. I didnt have access to the tank daily. I brought this fish in thinking he was pretty and having a viscous past (according to the previous owner) would eat up some of the fry. So to answer your question Yes. Now the tank is here with me. The tank is clean, the fish are happy and I love them.

Haha don't worry about it. The circle of life eludes some people. :-)

Nice work on saving the tank, and welcome to the addiction.