Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Incandescent Hood + Showcase Bulbs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/incandescent-hood-showcase-bulbs-130147/)

Hankj 02-26-2013 10:53 PM

Incandescent Hood + Showcase Bulbs?

I have a ten gallon tank with marbled crayfish in it. I have a cheap hood from Meijer that is only rated 15 W and who knows what the actually bulb is. The algae is an ugly brown and I would prefer green.

So two questions,
With these two of these in a different hood:
1) Will these at least give me green algae?
2) If in the future, I want to grow some low light plants with this hood, would this be possible?

MoneyMitch 02-27-2013 04:52 AM

hard to tell what K these bulbs are, ur algae is brown cause there isnt enough light, i would upgrade to a flourecent hood with a life glow 6.5k bulb this should be sufficent for some javas in a 10 gal.

fish monger 02-27-2013 07:35 AM

Maybe try some daylight CFLs in your current hood.

Hankj 02-27-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1447216)
hard to tell what K these bulbs are, ur algae is brown cause there isnt enough light, i would upgrade to a flourecent hood with a life glow 6.5k bulb this should be sufficent for some javas in a 10 gal.

I am using a fluorescent hood and its not doing the trick. It's only 15 W and I don't know what the bulb is. I also have this incandescent hood on hand rated at 50 W.

Hankj 02-27-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1447279)
Maybe try some daylight CFLs in your current hood.

The current hood is fluorescent tube. I have not tried the hagen hood on this tank yet. I'm asking if two 25 W "showcase" bulbs will be enough light for green algae.

beaslbob 02-27-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankj (Post 1447394)
I am using a fluorescent hood and its not doing the trick. It's only 15 W and I don't know what the bulb is. I also have this incandescent hood on hand rated at 50 W.

I actually like using the old incandescent hoods. I just use the wall mart GE 6500k spiral screw in compact flourescent bulbs designed to replace incandescent bulbs. A couple of 10w bulbs would be more then enough for a 10g. Last time I checked they were ~$6 or so.

Tank looks great and plants do well also.

my .02

Hankj 02-27-2013 02:35 PM

Oh okay I get it now. I didn't know what K was but I at least understand what you are talking about now.

Well I can get my hands on free Marina bulbs as well as the Aqua Glo bulbs. The Aqua Glo's description on some sites says "helps plants grow."

I will try them out and if not I will spend a few bucks on the pig tails.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Quantum 02-27-2013 08:32 PM

agree with beaslbob, those incandescents may be higher watts, but most of that is lost as heat and not converted to light, the sprial fluorescents at lower wattage will still produce more useful light energy

Aurie 02-28-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankj (Post 1447664)
Oh okay I get it now. I didn't know what K was but I at least understand what you are talking about now.

Well I can get my hands on free Marina bulbs as well as the Aqua Glo bulbs. The Aqua Glo's description on some sites says "helps plants grow."

I will try them out and if not I will spend a few bucks on the pig tails.

Thanks a lot everyone!

When I first went to a t8 I got a "GE Aquarium/Plant" bulb and it didn't have the K rating anywhere on the bulb. After an algae fest I did some research online and turns out it's just 3500k .. careful of the claims

these ones work GREAT and fit in the standard 2 bulb 10 gallon hood.. I'm using the 23 watt version in a 29 gallon 30" hood that I retrofitted

Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 13-Watt (60W) Spiral Medium Base Daylight (6500K) CFL Bulbs at Lowes.com

beaslbob 02-28-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurie (Post 1448509)
When I first went to a t8 I got a "GE Aquarium/Plant" bulb and it didn't have the K rating anywhere on the bulb. After an algae fest I did some research online and turns out it's just 3500k .. careful of the claims

these ones work GREAT and fit in the standard 2 bulb 10 gallon hood.. I'm using the 23 watt version in a 29 gallon 30" hood that I retrofitted

Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 13-Watt (60W) Spiral Medium Base Daylight (6500K) CFL Bulbs at Lowes.com

+1

Excellent example of what I'm talking about. Only $7 for two bubls and available locally here also.

Another example:
GE Energy Smart Spiral CFL Daylight Bulb, 15W, 12 Bulbs: Decor : Walmart.com

Just so you will know what the package looks like at your local wall mart. Only use the 13w not the 20w in the lnik and the price is for 6 bulbs not a single package. Single packages of the 13w have 2 bulbs. I just couldn't find that on line.

I also sae 6500k with the build-in reflectors. Which I used for sump/refugiums in my marine tanks. With those you don't need the round clip on reflectors. Just use a socket and place above the tank.

my .02