Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   cross breeding plecos? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/cross-breeding-plecos-13007/)

blueblue48 03-17-2008 02:34 PM

cross breeding plecos?

does anyone think it might be possible to cross breed, liiike, a zebra and a BN pleco? im just wondering because it would be awesome to have a bristle/zebra pleco (and they would be worth alot).[/u]

herefishy 03-17-2008 03:06 PM

Maybe possible. I'm not a geneticist. But, you may end up with something not expected, a real ugly fish.

Lupin 03-17-2008 07:25 PM

I don't believe it is possible for most species to do that. Each pleco species has a different behavior, cave requirements and different breeding rituals so for a zebra pleco and bristlenose pleco to breed together is IMO next to impossible. Besides, we will not condone it. Zebras have been banned from exports already, let alone the high demand so why should we be expecting a cross to another species which can decimate the pure strains rather?

There are over a hundred of species of ancistrus. Look them up on Planetcatfish.com. It is possible for most to cross each other. The other example are those of the Pterygoplichthys genus.

blueblue48 03-17-2008 08:08 PM

ok lets make this a not serious thread, i wasnt planning on, nor did i know much about zebras i was just giving examples. Heres another question, how did we get so many species? did we (or did the fish?) cross breed to make different exotic kinds?

Lupin 03-17-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueblue48
ok lets make this a not serious thread, i wasnt planning on, nor did i know much about zebras i was just giving examples. Heres another question, how did we get so many species? did we (or did the fish?) cross breed to make different exotic kinds?

I don't think they have been crossbred in the wild. To my knowledge, they really don't in the wild but in an enclosed ecosystem, they wil attempt it. Remember that Brazil has plenty of large river systems so this should explain why you see plenty of pleco species exist there.

blueblue48 03-17-2008 10:49 PM

Ok i still have some questions, sorry im just really interested in plecos recently. ive had a common for awhile and hes about 6 inches so i went to look up plecos and found theres like a million kinds! anyways can you breed an albino bristlenose and a reg. bristlenose? if so what will you get?? and whats a medusa head? just a bristlenose with weird qualities?

Lupin 03-17-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueblue48
Ok i still have some questions, sorry im just really interested in plecos recently. ive had a common for awhile and hes about 6 inches so i went to look up plecos and found theres like a million kinds! anyways can you breed an albino bristlenose and a reg. bristlenose? if so what will you get?? and whats a medusa head? just a bristlenose with weird qualities?

The albino trait does not make the fish any different from other members of its own species so the albino can still breed with a regular one provided both are still the same species. It depends which gene is recessive or dominant. The chances of getting an albino really varies.

fishgirl57 06-25-2014 06:02 AM

i know this post is old but I have just come across it and would like to put my views to you.Is this discussion about cross breeding plecos or bristlenose? Any Species of one type can cross breed therefor technically a pleco can be crossed with another pleco and any bristlenose can cross with another bristlenose. A Pleco cannot however cross with a bristlenose. I have bred a longfin albino bristlenose with a peppermint bristlenose and the results were quite good - no physical monstrosities just a few funny colourations ( and the most beautiful long fin peppermints ) Animals do cross breed in the wild which is how new species and breeds develop ie I have seen a cross tiger/brown snake ( nasty thing ). The thing about not crossbreeding occassionally is the deterioration of bloodlines when the gene pool becomes so small that many abnormalities begin to appear . I bred dogs for 40 years and can attest to this.This becomes apparent in the very rare species ( of any animal) when when there is a very high mortality rate in new borns and eventually the whole breed/species dies out.I am not really pro cross breeding but I think there are times when logic dictates it is the only way to continue a breed or species.

SirReal303 07-01-2014 06:49 PM

For anyone still interested in this thread...

All ancistrus plecos (calico, lemon, blue, etc etc etc) including the bn can and will crossbreed. As far as breeding a non ancistrus pleco (zebra) with an ancistrus (bn) i've never seen it happen.

We've succesfully bred calico ancistrus plecos with starndard bn plecos but all the fry came out black due to the female being the standard bn. If you were to get a male bn to mate with an ancistrus female you could have some of the color variation that the ancistrus shows but you'll still get some that come out as standard bn.