Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   getting rid of Apsatia? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/getting-rid-apsatia-130013/)

GwenInNM 02-25-2013 08:13 PM

getting rid of Apsatia?

Not sure I spelled that right, but the "pretty little things" that started growing on my LR, and looked nice, are popping up everywhere. I bought 2 peppermint shrimp, but haven't seen them do anything with them yet :-?

Is there a fish that eats this? Do you recommend buying that stuff that claims to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Gwen

RSully 02-25-2013 08:46 PM

Aiptasia x works great.

GwenInNM 02-25-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSully (Post 1445275)
Aiptasia x works great.

And it wont' hurt any LPS or SPS?? I was researching about that "worm thing" but wow, are they expensive!! One single worm cost about $13.00 and that doesn't include shipping.

I've heard of the Aiptasia X, but I want to make sure it's safe

Tazman 02-25-2013 09:24 PM

If there is nothing else on the live rock, boil it in hot water, that will kill it.

Another method is to inject Lemon juice directly into it.

RSully 02-25-2013 09:26 PM

Yeah, it's reef safe. Just follow the directions closely. Turn off all filters, fill up the syringe and slowly squirt into their opening. It might take one or two tries the first time to get it but you will eventually. Just dont squirt it directly onto/into any sps/lps.

GwenInNM 02-26-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1445341)
If there is nothing else on the live rock, boil it in hot water, that will kill it.

Another method is to inject Lemon juice directly into it.

I've heard awful things about boiling live rock. And I do have other things on the rock, so I wouldn't do that. Thanks for the lemon juice idea. I'll try to Aiptasia X product, that Sully recommends.

Gwen

funkman262 02-26-2013 07:43 AM

I had good luck with peppermint shrimp before. I believe lemon juice or kalkwasser paste works just fine.

wake49 02-26-2013 07:52 AM

I have had good luck with both lemon juice and peppermints. Peppermints take time, so you have to be patient. I always throw a few in right off the bat as part of my CUC when I start up a tank.

Reefing Madness 02-26-2013 09:24 AM

You just need some Lemon Juice and a syringe. Fill the syringe with juice, and shoot it directly into the Aiptasia, get its stalk so it can't retract, or go straight into the mouth. Shoot slowly so it gets to full brunt of the juice. If you got it, you will see it immediately start to dissolve away.

GwenInNM 02-26-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 1445811)
I have had good luck with both lemon juice and peppermints. Peppermints take time, so you have to be patient. I always throw a few in right off the bat as part of my CUC when I start up a tank.

Yes I was very happy to add a CUC. I had placed my Green Spotted Puffer in a good home, and with him in the tank prior, I could not have any such inverts.

Gwen