Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   fishless cycle with ammonia question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fishless-cycle-ammonia-question-129983/)

yellowbrickroad 02-25-2013 05:12 PM

fishless cycle with ammonia question

Hi everyone. I'm on day 28 of my fishless cycle using pure ammonia (this is my first tank so first cycle). My tank is processing 3ml ammonia within 24 hours and I'm now waiting for my.. nitrobacter? Nitrite eating bacteria to grow. My nitrites and nitrates are currently very high. My question is should I just leave everything and be patient, or should I do a water change to bring down the nitrites/nitrates a bit? Do high levels stall the cycle? I've not added any bacteria yet, I have a bottle that I could use (sera bio nitrivec), but I'm thinking it seems to be doing well enough without it up till now. I guess I must have some nitrite eaters since my nitrates are high.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Louise

MoneyMitch 02-25-2013 06:25 PM

i wouldnt do a w/c i would just be patient and wait for the ammonia to go down to 0. by doing a w/c you will take out the ammonia too which is needed for the cycle.

yellowbrickroad 02-26-2013 04:25 AM

Thanks for your response. To clarify, my ammonia goes to 0 every 24 hours, it's the nitrites I'm waiting to drop to 0. Just wanted to add that in case it makes a difference to your advice.

1077 02-26-2013 07:38 AM

You say the ammonia is being processed every 24 hour's, which indicate's that you are still adding ammonia?
I would decrease the amount of ammonia added every day,every couple day's? by 1/2 and monitor nitrites (with an I).
Think you will find that the nitrite problem will quickly dissappear(2 to 3 day's) and ammonia and nitrites will both be consumed much quicker while nitrAtes (with an A) will continue to rise.
Once the tank can process the reduced ammonia and also nitrites within 12 hour's,, for four or five straight day's,, then you can perform large 60 to 70 percent water change, and place a few fish in the tank.
Even at 1/2 the original amount of ammonia to reach 3ppm, this is far more than a tank full of fish will ever see, and reducing the amount to achieve the 3ppm by 1/2,, will keep the cycling moving forward rather than stalling as sometimes happen's with too much ammonia repeatedly after the nitrites appear.

yellowbrickroad 02-26-2013 08:53 AM

Thanks 1077 I'll half the ammonia when I add it tonight and keep testing the nitrites. Excited to be getting there, hopefully I'll have fish in a week then :))

Lou

Sookielee 02-28-2013 01:14 PM

Well our 75 is still not doing well at all. We added Dr. Tim;s one and only last saturday and still the ammonia is not changing nor are we getting any nitrites. We are at our wits end.

Freshcatch 02-28-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sookielee (Post 1448914)
Well our 75 is still not doing well at all. We added Dr. Tim;s one and only last saturday and still the ammonia is not changing nor are we getting any nitrites. We are at our wits end.

I would do a 50% water change and test tomorrow to check my parameters. The ammonia level should come down. If it does, then you should wait another day and test again.