Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   a new addition.... that got removed (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-addition-got-removed-129865/)

encountr 02-24-2013 04:15 PM

a new addition.... that got removed

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Just bought a Procambarus Clarkii ( a white louisiana crayfish)
Attachment 78114
Attachment 78115
I switched him tank this morning and he now shares a 10g with a single male platy.

I added him to my 55g friday evening and all seemed good enough.
Went to bed and first thing i know when i woke up was that all my anachranis were ALL cut at least in half. Lollll
ALLThe other plants were all floating arround but uncut and nice.

I replanted them all and watch him climbimg them and still shreading them apart.
Attachment 78113

Even with green vegies he would prefer to chew on anachranis....

This guys is to amazing to look at i decided not to return it and keep him in my qt 10g for now... Till i get a plantless setup.

I might also try to use the 10g to find plants that the cray will not feed on..... Now testing some plants and will report what i find out.

Bye for now

fish monger 02-24-2013 04:25 PM

Didn't know they did that.

MoneyMitch 02-24-2013 05:06 PM

haha so crazy what some aquarium creatures will do!

encountr 02-24-2013 05:20 PM

Yeah well ive been reading on them for the last week or so and i was expecting thet to happen... Some story were all went good with plants and others were the cray would eat them all... I had to take a chance ;-)

It realy is cool to watch walk arround and grab for any food left overs and vegetable i feed him with.
Very nice creature.

Romad 02-24-2013 05:46 PM

I'd keep him and let him keep trimming the plants :)

encountr 02-24-2013 06:45 PM

Trimming plants is fine, but shreading them does quite a mess on the substrat and also, its destroying my fry hide outs...

It was a show to watch when my chinese alges eater realised that he had to share his territory with a crayfish. The cray snaped him once and war was over as fast as it started. They both agree on the cave they would call their own.

Its a shame... I think i will rearrange my 55g with floating plants and put the guy back in...
I have to fix that. They realy are cool to watch interact with fishies :-D

Romad 02-24-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by encountr (Post 1443462)
Trimming plants is fine, but shreading them does quite a mess on the substrat and also, its destroying my fry hide outs...

It was a show to watch when my chinese alges eater realised that he had to share his territory with a crayfish. The cray snaped him once and war was over as fast as it started. They both agree on the cave they would call their own.

Its a shame... I think i will rearrange my 55g with floating plants and put the guy back in...
I have to fix that. They realy are cool to watch interact with fishies :-D

Yeah - I was just making a lame joke :-D I think the crayfish is awesome!