Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Question on anubias... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/question-anubias-129695/)

smit3183 02-22-2013 09:20 PM

Question on anubias...

Just got several anubias that I ordered online and some came in pot form. I know you can't plant the rhizome but how would I go about planting the potted form? There is no way I could removed the dirt that is packed in with the roots without damaging . I would be there for hours and hours. You obviously can't attach it to anything . Would I just gently push the roots with the dirt packed on it in my sand without burying the rhizome? It looks kind of silly but I feel it's my only choice.

ladayen 02-22-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 1441086)
Just got several anubias that I ordered online and some came in pot form. I know you can't plant the rhizome but how would I go about planting the potted form? There is no way I could removed the dirt that is packed in with the roots without damaging . I would be there for hours and hours. You obviously can't attach it to anything . Would I just gently push the roots with the dirt packed on it in my sand without burying the rhizome? It looks kind of silly but I feel it's my only choice.

What exactly do you mean potted form? Is it a black plastic pot with rock wool(almost like very rough wool)?

smit3183 02-22-2013 09:34 PM

No , their is not any rock wool. It's actual soil that's connected to the roots. Do I wash it off until its just roots left?

ladayen 02-22-2013 09:38 PM

Oh yeah if it's just dirt just rinse it off under the tap and kinda massage the roots with your thumb and fingers to get it off.

Edit: or in a bucket or something works too just swirl it around.

smit3183 02-22-2013 10:20 PM

Thanks a lot . Easily done, just didn't want to screw anything up as I've spent nearly 100 dollars on anubias alone

ladayen 02-22-2013 10:52 PM

No problem :) Anubias are very durable. I've got one plant that keeps pushing itself out of the water so I have to readjust it every week or two. Means one or two leaves are out of the water for a couple days at a time. Doesn't seem to mind.

JDM 02-23-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 1441149)
Thanks a lot . Easily done, just didn't want to screw anything up as I've spent nearly 100 dollars on anubias alone

$100? on just anubias?

Crap, I spent less than $70 for 14 different species of plants in my tank.... I only got one bunch of each though, how many of these did you get?

Make sure to get some pictures up too, sounds like you've got a real garden going on there.

Jeff.

ladayen 02-23-2013 02:17 PM

Heh.. I've lost track of how much I've spent on plants. I've attempted to move a couple times in the last year and a half so sold off alot, then repurchase. Bought 3 large anubias plants last week for $10 a piece.

smit3183 02-23-2013 02:33 PM

I got like 12 different species of them. I have a 55 gallon that I was running 2 T8 bulbs that had amazon swords , water sprite, vals and pennywort. All but the swords started turning to mush. This was like the 3rd time this has happened so I gave up on them. Just couldn't find the balance as I know this was enough light.

So my plan of thinking completely changed and I wanted to go to a very low light set up. Changed up to 1 bulb and bought all these anubias, crypts and java fern. All these are pretty much impossible to kill. The obvious only draw back is they grow slowly, but are absolutely beautiful plants. It's nice to know that if you touch a leaf it won't fall off.

I said to myself that I'm going to be in this hobby until I die so why not have the patience to sit back and enjoy your tank and so what if the plants take forever to grow,they'll get there. I will definitely get some pics up in a few months after a little bit of growth.....I also have wisteria floating , I'm a little concerned about this though and will probably go to the (floating) form of water sprite if the wisteria fails.

ladayen 02-23-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smit3183 (Post 1441883)
I got like 12 different species of them. I have a 55 gallon that I was running 2 T8 bulbs that had amazon swords , water sprite, vals and pennywort. All but the swords started turning to mush. .

LOL swords are the one plant I cant seem to keep alive.. pennywort I had going at one point but I think I sold it off in one of my non-moves. Vals just thrive in my tanks.