Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   setting up new aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-new-aquarium-129644/)

Goomba 02-22-2013 10:11 AM

setting up new aquarium

I will be setting up my 29 gallon tank this weekend. But before I go out and set everything up I need some feedback. First it will be a community type tank fish like neon tetra, guppy, and sword tails. For my filtration I was going to pick up an aquaclear, but unsure on size was leaning towards a 110 because hopefully will be getting larger tank in future. Also saw moving bed filter and was wondering if I could run one along with this or if that be wrong idea. I will be using sand with some plants as well and still seeing what plants I like and want so suggestions here would help along with lighting my tank with appropriate lights.

smit3183 02-22-2013 10:26 AM

The aquaclear 110 will be overkill for a 29 gallon. You have to take in consider of the fish . They will probaly be thrown around with that type of filtration

sparkyjoe 02-22-2013 11:40 AM

I have an AquaClear 20 on two of my 5 gallons, and also my 10 gallon. With it at the lowest setting my betta fish are doing fine. If the outflow is too strong you can baffle it with a sponge.

MoneyMitch 02-22-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goomba (Post 1440436)
I will be setting up my 29 gallon tank this weekend. But before I go out and set everything up I need some feedback. First it will be a community type tank fish like neon tetra, guppy, and sword tails. For my filtration I was going to pick up an aquaclear, but unsure on size was leaning towards a 110 because hopefully will be getting larger tank in future. Also saw moving bed filter and was wondering if I could run one along with this or if that be wrong idea. I will be using sand with some plants as well and still seeing what plants I like and want so suggestions here would help along with lighting my tank with appropriate lights.

You mentioned a moving bed filter, Like a undergravel filter? if so not going to work with sand if you go with that route.

Goomba 02-22-2013 05:02 PM

not an undergravel filter its media inside a bottle that is powered by an air pump

ladayen 02-22-2013 05:03 PM

You should find out your water parameters before you get fish.

MoneyMitch 02-22-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 1440899)
You should find out your water parameters before you get fish.

get some test strips or take ur tap water with you when u go to buy fish and have the store test it for you. do your homework on the fish you want and if your ph matches then cool if not make sure to research some backups ;)never heard of a moving bed filter but sounds cool. but in all reality you should be good with a decent HOB or w/e

ladayen 02-22-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1441280)
get some test strips or take ur tap water with you when u go to buy fish and have the store test it for you. do your homework on the fish you want and if your ph matches then cool if not make sure to research some backups ;)never heard of a moving bed filter but sounds cool. but in all reality you should be good with a decent HOB or w/e

Get a good liquid test kit. Strips are inaccurate, and half the time store employees dont actually know what they are doing... and probably using strips anyhow. This way you can test immediately if something doesn't seem right and react quickly. A $30 investment on a good test kit will likely save you much more in fish value and more importantly save fish lives.

Byron 02-23-2013 02:03 PM

Agree. But before spending any money on something like a GH/KH test kit you may only use once, you can ascertain the GH and KH (and pH) of your tap water from the municipal water authority. Give us the numbers and we can suggest suitable fish that won't require any adjusting of water chemistry.

The API Master Test Kit (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) is a good investment.

Byron.

Goomba 02-23-2013 08:34 PM

I just got my 29 setup and running on. I bought an aquaclear filter and didnt use the carbon it came with should I use another filter pad or bio media?
Also I still need a bubbler and a powerhead which will be bought next week. I also would like to find some sort of drift wood to have little more decoration in tank