Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   new substrate for the bottom of my fresh water 55 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-substrate-bottom-my-fresh-water-129585/)

haloboxer 02-21-2013 05:41 PM

new substrate for the bottom of my fresh water 55 gallon tank?

Im currently in need of a new substrate for the bottom of my 55 gallon fish tank that has been up for serveral years.It is currently home to mollys,guppies and chinese algae eater their old substrate had gone old and bad(a mix of gravel,sand & aquatic soil)im also low on money so I was wondering if I could use anything I had at home.I have diatomaceous earth( food grade),Perlite(waterlogged),cypress mulch & play sand(ive used i the past and it had no negative effects on my tank).If I can use anything I currently have please let me know.

fashionfobie 02-21-2013 06:16 PM

I use play sand with great success. It is also much more economical :)

Ogre44 02-21-2013 07:26 PM

I'll second playsand.

AndrewM21 02-21-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 1439686)
I'll second playsand.

3rd :)

I've converted all of my tanks to Quickrete Playsand and I'm not going back!

mechanical8dragon 03-02-2013 11:58 AM

I've been watching DIY videos on youtube, and a guy reccomends using Swimming Pool filtration sand. it's an off white in color (the one he used anyways) and you can get a 40lb bag for about 10$ because it's meant for pools, the contents won't alter the chemistry of the water.

Thoth 03-02-2013 12:01 PM

Play sand should be cheaper than pool sand and will not alter your water chemistry as well.

mechanical8dragon 03-02-2013 12:03 PM

probably, but I've been told from a few people that playsand has a tendency to "clump" whether they were just having bad luck or not, i don't know P:

Byron 03-02-2013 07:23 PM

I've had play sand in tanks for over 2 years now, and have just recently changed my 6th of 7 tanks to play sand. Keep it shallow, from 1 inch to 3 inches depending upon tank size, and with live plants it should be fine. Malaysian Livebearing snails will burrow through it. Plants rooted in the substrate help by releasing tons of oxygen from their roots. On top of all this, there is some need for anaerobic zones, so spots under chunks of wood or rock can be left alone.

Pool filter sand should be OK, but make sure it is inert, and not rough. Avoid white. I believe there is a black pfs, though I've not seen it myself. The nice thing about play sand (Quikrete is the brand I use) it that it resembles the sand in many Amazon streams so it is very natural.

Byron.

trudymae 03-05-2013 08:59 PM

We use playsand and it works well we love so does our fish

jaysee 03-05-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanical8dragon (Post 1451406)
I've been watching DIY videos on youtube, and a guy reccomends using Swimming Pool filtration sand. it's an off white in color (the one he used anyways) and you can get a 40lb bag for about 10$ because it's meant for pools, the contents won't alter the chemistry of the water.

I prefer pool filter sand. I have a few different brands and they are all very nice. I tried play sand and did not like it at all. What I tried was an ugly gray color in the tank, and all the softness washed away cleaning it - it was very dirty, and sharp when I was done. Must have been the brand....