Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Filter Question for 60 Gallon Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/filter-question-60-gallon-aquarium-129452/)

Yogi 02-20-2013 03:41 PM

Filter Question for 60 Gallon Aquarium

Ok so I have been debating this for a while now and I wanted to get some input since I won't get the filter until Friday if I do decide to get it. My question is right now I have a 60 gallon aquarium with tropical fish and ADF's it's about 108% stocked according to Aqadvisor.com. Currently I have an Aquaclear 70 running on this tank but I was considering adding a second one, it's a tall tank not long. I know adding a second filter would be greatly beneficial to my fish but is another one NECESSARY?

I have two smaller filters in my closet in case the 70 goes out so having a backup filter is not the reason why I want to get the filter. I just want to make sure what I have is adequate enough for my tank or if adding the second filter is really NECESSARY? Thanks for any suggestions in advance guys.

Magenb015 02-20-2013 04:43 PM

i always go by a certain filter rule, get a filter for a tank 20 more gallons then what you need. I have always had success with this, especially in my ten gallon tank. In my 55 gallon, i have about 50 gallons of water, and a filter for 70 gallons. I would say just base it off of what fish you will have in there and their bioload. It cant hurt to add another smaller filter.

mikey1 02-23-2013 08:22 AM

an aquaclear 70 is 300gph

if the filter is properly maintained it should be more than adequate for your tank

if the tank is deep buy a second intake tube to extend the intake down deeper into the tank

aquaclear are excellent filters, i would suggest replacing the carbon insert with another foam insert....use two foam inserts

Yogi 02-24-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey1 (Post 1441605)
an aquaclear 70 is 300gph

if the filter is properly maintained it should be more than adequate for your tank

if the tank is deep buy a second intake tube to extend the intake down deeper into the tank

aquaclear are excellent filters, i would suggest replacing the carbon insert with another foam insert....use two foam inserts

Yeah I already use two foam isnerts I have live plants in my tank so I don't use the carbon bags in my media tray.

Byron 02-25-2013 05:21 PM

Live plants reduce the need for filtration which is otherwise competing. The fish species themselves also impact filtration, as not all fish are the same. "Adequate" filtration is that which is suited to the tank volume, fish species and numbers, and plants. Going beyond this is not better, and may be worse; the adage that more filration is better is a myth.:-)

Byron.

mikey1 02-26-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1444922)
Going beyond this is not better, and may be worse; the adage that more filration is better is a myth.:-)

Byron.

i agree 100%

i can not stand when i hear people say "you can never have too much filteration" :roll: