Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Anyone have an air pump THAT WORKS?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/anyone-have-air-pump-works-12945/)

gilfish 03-15-2008 04:02 PM

Anyone have an air pump THAT WORKS??

I'm on my third air pump and it is just as much of a wussy as the other two. I have a 6" bubble wand and none of the air pumps can seem to pump enough air to fill in more than 3" of bubbles out of it.

Anyone have a fairly economical air pump that CRANKS? Thanks.

coley 03-15-2008 04:14 PM

I use Tetra Whisper pumps. I have a 20 in my 55 and 29, and a 10 in my 10 gallon. They work great. No problems

busteds13 03-15-2008 04:22 PM

i've got a whisper, it pumps out the bubbles. unfortunately its name is a blatant lie.

Fishcricker 03-15-2008 10:03 PM

I hear ya Cody. I have a Whisper 60 here. The name is a lie. I put mine in the basement and ran the air tubing up through the floor. Husband built a shelf with sides so it would not vibrate off and screwed it to the floor joints. I used a check valve on the line and made sure I had a good drip line. Works for us. :lol:

MattD 03-15-2008 10:04 PM

Moved to FW equipment for maximum expertise. :D

Jasey 03-16-2008 12:08 AM

I used a Tetra 60 air pump with a 4 ft. bubble wand. The noise was fine, quite tolerable. The bubbles came out of 70% of the wand, and I'm not sure whether thats due to the pump or that it was underneath a sand substrate.

FuzzAz 03-16-2008 01:08 PM

maybe the wand is worn out? the wands need to have some restance to flow in order make even bubbles, and that wears out. If you are powering more than 1 thing you should be sure to use a gang valve. I have a tetra whisper 60, it powers two 3" wands and two stones at 18" deep. but if I dont use a gang valve to regulate and restrict the flow to each stone than air only goes to the first wand sence it is the easiest route, and no air goes to the other stones. I guess I would recomend the tetra whisper for the price but get the 100, its only a few bucks more. I would not say the tetra is any louder than any other pump, but it is definately not a silent as the advertising on the box implies.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=12738

dubels 03-17-2008 06:10 PM

I just switched over from a aquatic garden 1000 pump to a whisper 60. I went from powering three air stones to powering two air stones and a decoration in my 28g tank and an air stone, sponge filter in my QT, and two air stones in my brine shrimp hatcheries. It still has plenty of power to add more bubbles. I also have the aquatic garden one as a backup.

Oldman47 03-17-2008 09:16 PM

The Rena air pumps put out what they say they do. The ratings in terms of water depth and how many air stones you can run are pretty good. Get one whee you figure that your bubble wall is like one air stone for every inch of the bubble wall. A 6 inch means you want enough air for 6 stones at the depth you intend to use. The Rena pumps are adjustable with a knob that sticks out the end and mine has been running for over 2 years with no problems and almost no noise. In my case its running 5 actual air stones at about 24 inches depth. I think the one I have is about the smallest they make.

gilfish 03-18-2008 08:47 PM

Thanks all! I bought a Tetra Whisper 100 and it is AWESOME! It is no louder than my old pump (not exactly a whisper, but a relaxing buzz none the less) and the bubbles are crazy! All my fish love it and are swimming in and out like kids in a sprinkler.

That is, except for my 4" Texas Cichlid, the largest fish in my tank, who went inside my sunken ship and won't come out because of all the new bubbles. What a wussy. [/i]