Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ok, I have an agonizing situation.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ok-i-have-agonizing-situation-129431/)

clown loach guy 02-20-2013 11:06 AM

Ok, I have an agonizing situation....

I currently have a 30 gallon freshwater setup with a Marineland C220 filter. It is stocked as follows: 4 clown loaches, 1 anglefish, 1 silver dollar 3 neon tetras 4 black tetras 3 female swords 1 male sword 1 oto, and possibly a baboo shrimp that I haven't seen for a while. I would really like to move to a 55 set up but I don't think the filter would support this. I know that the loaches will only become to big, but I don't want to get rid of any of the fish, hence the agony. What would you folks do????????

1077 02-20-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clown loach guy (Post 1437731)
I currently have a 30 gallon freshwater setup with a Marineland C220 filter. It is stocked as follows: 4 clown loaches, 1 anglefish, 1 silver dollar 3 neon tetras 4 black tetras 3 female swords 1 male sword 1 oto, and possibly a baboo shrimp that I haven't seen for a while. I would really like to move to a 55 set up but I don't think the filter would support this. I know that the loaches will only become to big, but I don't want to get rid of any of the fish, hence the agony. What would you folks do????????

Well Clown loaches grow fairly quickly to four or five inches, and then growth slow's considerably in my expierience.
This would give you time to save for maybe 125 gal which in my view would accomodate the loaches and Silver dollar(grow large also) for some time.
I kept a group of five clown loaches for a couple year's in 80 gal but then gave them to small fish store i frequent and he placed them in 125 gal display tank.
I still see them when I stop in and this bring's me comfort.

MoneyMitch 02-20-2013 03:01 PM

start puttin money back now and stop puttin it into this tank =)

Byron 02-20-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clown loach guy (Post 1437731)

A well planted tank can have minimal filtration--even no filter though I am not suggesting this for the present situation. But if you can get a 55g tank and plant it, your fish will be better than they are now, all of them. There are issues with each, lease read the profile information. Profiles are under the second heading from the left in the blue bar across the top.

As for the clown loach, as 1077 mentioned, the 55g is only a stop-gap for the present. Eventually you will need a larger tank for the clown loaches or they will not be in the best of health, and that is not fair to the fish. Returning them to a good store, or finding a good home with another aquarist, is better now than later.

Byron.