Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   aggressive? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aggressive-129399/)

Alex1331 02-20-2013 02:04 AM

aggressive?

Whats some cool looking aggressive fish that get pretty big but can be housed in a 75 gal ...i dont want chiclids ..i love catfish and thinking about a couple striped rapaels and something bigger and aggressive idk anyy suggestions?

charlie1881 02-20-2013 05:37 AM

I have 3 Raphael striped cats and they are amazing I love them I keep them with my tiger oscar .
I know you said no cichlids just sayimg what I keep them with lol they can take pretty much any tank mate for sure . I always thought the red tail botia was a pretty cool fish but never had a place for it in my tanks . Its a loach so its a active fish and gets aggressive with age , looks like a rainbow shark kinda only bigger .
I have a idea for a tank you might like
3-4 marbled hatchet fish
3-6 angel fish
6 phantom tetras
6 runny nose tetras
? rapheal stripped catfish
I saw this tank plan in a aquatics book I have and always thought it would be a cool mix just never had the tank space for it myself but when I saw your post asking about suggestions I thought Id post it for ya to consider as an option . 8-) it would be a very active tank with some pretty cool fishes

jennesque 02-20-2013 07:15 AM

Tiger barbs are aggressive fish, although they'll behave in large enough schools. They get pretty big, and I'm pretty sure you can mix all three color variations in one school (normal, albino, and green.. there may be others too) and they'll be fine since they're the same species. So that'd give more visual variety while still keeping the fish happy.

Also, if you do decide to get rummynose tetras, I wouldn't suggest less than 9. I know others on the forum will say the same. Mine were pretty unhappy with jut 7, seemed better with 9 and when I bumped it up to 11 they perked up even more. With a 75gal you could easily keep this large of a school. Amazing fish btw, they do actually school together more than most fish I've seen, even without predatory fish in the tank.

fish monger 02-20-2013 08:09 AM

Just a couple of suggestions. Red Tailed Sharks get to a good size and get aggressive with age. Paradise Fish are fairly nasty and would add interesting color.

Alex1331 02-26-2013 08:33 PM

kinda looking for a few good sized fish aggressive like eats feeders lol
Posted via Mobile Device

MoneyMitch 02-26-2013 08:44 PM

feeders are a bad bad idea, they do nothing but cause problems disease parasites water issues, you name it and feeders can cause it. but oscars will pirhanas will uhm pretty much any cichlid with a mouth big enough to get a smaller fish in its mouth will uhmmm thats about all i got. but please DONT FEED YOUR FISH FEEDERS they are outlawed in outher countries for a reason and should be here too.