Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Name that plant...? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/name-plant-129292/)

Eriisuchan 02-19-2013 10:34 AM

Name that plant...?

1 Attachment(s)
I bought two plants yesterday and I forgot to write down their names. Rookie mistake! (I'm a n00b, can you tell? lol)

Can anyone tell me if these are Moneywort/Java Fern? Many thanks! <3

(ten points if you spot my three fish! lol :lol: )

Edit: Now I'm thinking they kinda look like Ludwigia/Dwarf Sword? Oh geez, I'm so confused!

Yogi 02-19-2013 10:54 AM

The one on the right looks like Java Fern to me and the one in the middle I have never seen or used myself.

Eriisuchan 02-19-2013 03:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some other pics of the plant... My fish decided to pose, last minute. Figures, I try to the fish, he darts away, I try to get the plant, he makes himself handsome! lol

ao 02-19-2013 04:17 PM

The leaf shape does vaguely resemble ludwigia. does it have any red on it?
if not it also looks a bit like green hedge, a non aquatic plant.
you may need to do some googling and compare search results with your plant :3

Eriisuchan 02-19-2013 04:25 PM

Not a whole lot of red... but the stems seem to be greenish-brown... I can see how it could turn to red when the plant matures a bit. Thanks! :)

And it's an aquatic plant, so I know it's not hedge. :)

Byron 02-19-2013 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The stem plant could well by Moneywort, or Bacopa monnieri to give it the scientific name. Photo attached.

The other is not likely Java Fern, nor a sword (Echinodorus sp). The leaf/stem structure does not match either, in the photo. Can you give us more photos, or description of the roots/stem?

Byron.

jentralala 02-19-2013 08:07 PM

Just to put this out there, some stores sell "aquatic" plants that aren't really aquatic at all. Petsmart/Petco are notorious for doing that.

Eriisuchan 02-20-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1436793)
The stem plant could well by Moneywort, or Bacopa monnieri to give it the scientific name. Photo attached.

The leave on my plant aren't as rounded as the ones in the picture... and They're not "bunched" the same way on the stem... They're growing in pairs along the stem, but not in groups... if that makes sense?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1436793)
The other is not likely Java Fern, nor a sword (Echinodorus sp). The leaf/stem structure does not match either, in the photo. Can you give us more photos, or description of the roots/stem?

The roots are in little ceramic rings... They're short and stringy. I wanted to uproot them and show you, but the algae eaters won't leave them and I don't want to disturb them. I figure I've stressed them enough adding everything in the other day. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1436973)
Just to put this out there, some stores sell "aquatic" plants that aren't really aquatic at all. Petsmart/Petco are notorious for doing that.

I don't know those stores... Any relation to Pets Unlimited? :oops: They're aquatic plant selection is actually quite nice. :)

Eriisuchan 02-20-2013 01:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pics:

Magenb015 02-20-2013 05:55 PM

the one in the middle is definately ludwigia. It is one of my favorite plants, kinda hard to get started/rooted but once you do, they are a very beautiful edition to any tank. The one on the right looks to be some type of sword. I almost wanna say it could be a java fern but my java fern is much more "spindly" on the leaves, if thats even a word....