Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Could I Get To Discus in My 29g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/could-i-get-discus-my-29g-129134/)

tankman12 02-17-2013 08:04 PM

Could I Get To Discus in My 29g

Could I get to Discus in my 29 community tank. There is 10 rummynose tetras, 1 banjo catfish, 1 male pearl gourami, 1 male neon blue stiphodon goby, 4 platies, 5 cory catfish, and 1 male albino bushynose pleco. Would they get along with the discus? My ph is 7.0 to 7.2. Ammonia is 0. Nitrate is 0. Nitrite is 0. Is this alright? It is a planted tank with two pieces of driftwood, a lot of river rock, and a sand bottom.

Byron 02-17-2013 08:09 PM

The short answer, no. Discus are shoaling fish and need a group, and they get too large for a 29g. Read more in the profile, click the shaded name.

Aside from the space issue, in larger quarters some of the named fish would be compatible, some trouble.

Byron.

tankman12 02-17-2013 08:20 PM

What about to angelfish?

MoneyMitch 02-17-2013 09:48 PM

agree with byron here. as for the angels heard those can be super nasty if paired or can get beat up by other smaller "fin nippers"

jentralala 02-17-2013 09:56 PM

Angels can't be housed with gourami. They will fight extensively and possibly to the death. Not to mention that angels also get quite large.

BWG 02-17-2013 10:25 PM

I'm just going to agree with everyone else on the angel subject. I'd even go so far as to say you shouldn't add anything else. You have some fish that get a fairly decent size on there as well as some stocking issues.

Not trying to jump on your case, but just point a few things out. The gourami should be in a larger tank. A 29 gallon is 30" in length, for that fish you want a minimum of 36". Those six inches make a difference. The platies should have hard, basic water which is the total opposite of what some of those fish, especially the rummynose need. The stiphodon needs high current so the oxygen has enough water, that won't be liked by the rest of the fish.

MoneyMitch 02-23-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwaterguy (Post 1434677)
I'm just going to agree with everyone else on the angel subject. I'd even go so far as to say you shouldn't add anything else. You have some fish that get a fairly decent size on there as well as some stocking issues.

Not trying to jump on your case, but just point a few things out. The gourami should be in a larger tank. A 29 gallon is 30" in length, for that fish you want a minimum of 36". Those six inches make a difference. The platies should have hard, basic water which is the total opposite of what some of those fish, especially the rummynose need. The stiphodon needs high current so the oxygen has enough water, that won't be liked by the rest of the fish.

he is right here, however keep in mind its ur tank and you can do whatever you like just be prepaired to have issues if you keep the current setup for a period of time not to mnetuon the fish stress and of course disease/parasites.