Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Need Help... My fishes are dying. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/need-help-my-fishes-dying-129095/)

brij 02-17-2013 12:12 PM

Need Help... My fishes are dying.

I am new to fish keeping and had the tank for only two months. My Tank size is 55 gallon and When i bought the tank i bough 10 gold fish and 2 placos with it. I do around 25% water change every week and gravel cleaning every 15 days.

It was all fine until last Saturday when i did my gravel cleaning. I removed all the decoration and washed it with tap water and then did around 40% of water change. on 4th day ( Wed Night) i saw one of the fish had a black spot on fin. I Googled it and found that it can be due to high ammonia. I don't know why because i just did water change.

on 6th day the first fish died and found other two fishes are having the same issue. I took water sample to Big Al's (From where i bought the tank and fishes), they advised me that i have high PH and HI ammonia. they advised me to do 25% water change immediately and they also sold me two liquids and advise me to follow a 7 days cycle.

1) Multipurpose Bio-Support Tout Usage which contains good live bacteria and have been adding it 5 ML per 5 gallon (so 55ML) add it every day for 7 days.

2) Amo lock which converts ammonia to nontoxic form. I was advised to add it every other days 20 ML each time so total 3 times in 7 days cycle.

They also advised me that i went too far in cleaning my tank I should not have washed the ornaments and filter as it would kill all good bacteria. I feel so bad right now that cleaning my tank is killing my fish.

It has been Three days since i am putting these products in and today my 2nd fish has died. I have noticed that three more fishes have got the black fins. Today I again did 20% water change just reduce level of ammonia from water.

I need urgent advice from someone who knows what is happening as I canít see my fishes dying.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Yogi 02-17-2013 12:48 PM

Yeah bro cleaning everything including your filter from beneficial bacteria was the biggest mistake you made, but no you learned from it and you will never do it again lol. Ok as far as your fish there is nothing anybody can do right now pretty much you hit reset on your cycle and you have to wait for it to cycle again. I would recommend checking your ammonia levels frequently and doing adequate water changes and try and get your cycle going again.

FishyFishy89 02-17-2013 12:56 PM

Goldfish and plecos are your problem. Overtsocked as well. Goldies produce a lot waste as it is, overstocking with them is death in a tank.

ZivaD 02-17-2013 01:46 PM

What kind of goldfish and what kind of plecos do you have? There are many types of each and knowing which it is you have will help give a better idea of just how much of a problem it is you have on your hands. Chances are pretty darn good that you have an overstocked tank, even w/out knowing the specific types of goldies and plecos - couple that with a stripping of all beneficial bacteria from the "cleaning" you did and you get the end result of an ammonia spike and fish death.

FishyFishy89 02-17-2013 02:17 PM

All goldfish are high waste producers. So 10 goldfish is overstocked for a 55 gallon. 5 goldfish would be better stocking for the OP's tank. 2-3 rubber lips, 4-5 bristlenoses would be ideal for bottom stocking. If you have a common pleco 1 would be best. If he gets too big you'll have to rehome him or upgrade your tank.

Bear in mind goldfish need twice the filtration. Lastly, common goldfish and comets shouldn't be kept in a 55 gallon. But if you must keep them, you'll need to either rehome or upgrade your tank. Shubunkins and kio shouldn't be tank kept at all.

However, fancys, fantails and moors can be tank kept.

brij 02-18-2013 01:08 PM

Hi Guys,

I would like to thank you all for your responses. I think the fishes are doing bit better then yesterday but not 100% sure yet.

I have seen one more change since yesterday my fake plants are getting brown spots. i looked online and ppl say it's a brown algae. some says it's good some says bad can any one comment?

I have 5 standard gold fish, 1 black moor and the other for fishes are gold fish as well but I am not sure what type. I am attaching the pics here so if you know please let me know. I am also attaching pic of my placos.

Please check the link below for pics.

Flickr: Brij1979's Photostream

Regards,

Brij

brij 02-18-2013 04:21 PM

Thanks for you reply. I have submitted details requested by you. Can you looke at it and respond at your earliest convenience???

Brij

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZivaD (Post 1433941)
What kind of goldfish and what kind of plecos do you have? There are many types of each and knowing which it is you have will help give a better idea of just how much of a problem it is you have on your hands. Chances are pretty darn good that you have an overstocked tank, even w/out knowing the specific types of goldies and plecos - couple that with a stripping of all beneficial bacteria from the "cleaning" you did and you get the end result of an ammonia spike and fish death.

Posted via Mobile Device

brij 02-18-2013 04:22 PM

Thanks for you reply. I have submitted details requested by you. Can you looke at it and respond at your earliest convenience???

Brij

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 (Post 1433972)
All goldfish are high waste producers. So 10 goldfish is overstocked for a 55 gallon. 5 goldfish would be better stocking for the OP's tank. 2-3 rubber lips, 4-5 bristlenoses would be ideal for bottom stocking. If you have a common pleco 1 would be best. If he gets too big you'll have to rehome him or upgrade your tank.

Bear in mind goldfish need twice the filtration. Lastly, common goldfish and comets shouldn't be kept in a 55 gallon. But if you must keep them, you'll need to either rehome or upgrade your tank. Shubunkins and kio shouldn't be tank kept at all.

However, fancys, fantails and moors can be tank kept.

Posted via Mobile Device

FishyFishy89 02-18-2013 04:28 PM

You appear to have shubunkins, fantails and comets. Your pleco appears to be a common pleco. I would rehome all but the black moor and the fan tail. The slim bodied goldies don't belong in a tank and do best in a pond. Your pleco currently looks okay...can you guesstimate how long the pleco is?

brij 02-18-2013 05:01 PM

The first placo is 4 or 5 inch the other one is around 3 inch.

Thanks.

Brijesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 (Post 1435546)
You appear to have shubunkins, fantails and comets. Your pleco appears to be a common pleco. I would rehome all but the black moor and the fan tail. The slim bodied goldies don't belong in a tank and do best in a pond. Your pleco currently looks okay...can you guesstimate how long the pleco is?

Posted via Mobile Device