Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   All male guppies safe?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/all-male-guppies-safe-129032/)

MonteCarlo 02-16-2013 07:06 PM

All male guppies safe??

I do not have the resources for the mass amount of fry that guppies would produce, so I purchased 6 male guppies for my 10gal heavily planted tank. Theres lots of plants (take a look in my aquarium), but Im still wondering if its safe/not too stressful for them to be living together?

Also, the guy at the LFS told me they have low bioload, but with 6 guppies and a mystery snail AqAdvisor already says im at 105%... hmm.

Yogi 02-17-2013 12:07 PM

Yeah as long as the males were all added together they should be fine. Pretty soon they might establish a pecking order so don't be alarmed if they get a little aggressive for a while, just make sure none of them is being harassed. Aqadvisor IS VERY accurate in my opinion I use it for all my tank and it sounds like 6 fish for a 10 gallon and a snail sounds about stocked to me.

FlipShady 23 02-18-2013 05:49 PM

I also have a 10g tank that currently has 4 male guppies. They seem to be getting along just fine. It looks like that they're playing with each other but nothing harmful. I plan on getting 2 more males within a couple of weeks bringing the total to 6.

I used Aqadvisor and told me that 6 guppies is overstocked at 101%. I'm not too worried since I keep up with my weekly water changes and I have the Aquaclear 30 filter. This filter has done a fantastic job in keeping my the water parameters in check as well as crystal clear. Good luck with your fish!

Yogi 02-19-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipShady 23 (Post 1435669)
I also have a 10g tank that currently has 4 male guppies. They seem to be getting along just fine. It looks like that they're playing with each other but nothing harmful. I plan on getting 2 more males within a couple of weeks bringing the total to 6.

I used Aqadvisor and told me that 6 guppies is overstocked at 101%. I'm not too worried since I keep up with my weekly water changes and I have the Aquaclear 30 filter. This filter has done a fantastic job in keeping my the water parameters in check as well as crystal clear. Good luck with your fish!

Aquaclear's are the best filters I have two 70's on my 60 gallon and one 50 on my 20 gallon and these filters are the best and last forever. Yeah if your at 101% and your usin Aquaclear filters I wouldn't be too worried about it either brotha.

Assault0137 03-01-2013 06:50 AM

theyre not... um... playing with each other. they didnt find any female guppes so now theyre trying to have sex with other males

Kuddos 2 U 03-01-2013 08:51 AM

Right now, I have 105 guppies in a 15g aquarium and the water is stabilized and clean all the time. So far, I see no deaths. Need to take a pic to show everyone.

Assault0137 03-01-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogi (Post 1436352)
Aquaclear's are the best filters I have two 70's on my 60 gallon and one 50 on my 20 gallon and these filters are the best and last forever. Yeah if your at 101% and your usin Aquaclear filters I wouldn't be too worried about it either brotha.

And I can vouch for those filters. have an aquaclear 150(old name for the 30) 15 years old an still works
Posted via Mobile Device

Yogi 03-03-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assault0137 (Post 1450461)
And I can vouch for those filters. have an aquaclear 150(old name for the 30) 15 years old an still works
Posted via Mobile Device

I've heard this over and over again that's why I went with AC's