Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Potted plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/potted-plants-12903/)

Ashkat 03-14-2008 04:14 PM

Potted plants?

Ok... New to the idea of live plants in the aquarium, but very interested in them.

I have just recently set up a 28 gallon bowfront (18in high X 24in wide) with a mix of small gravel and medium sized pebble (larger than a pea, smaller than a lima bean) substrate. I'm interested in adding some low light floating and rooted plants. I'd rather not have to re-scape the entire set up in order to add plants. Are there plants that will root into the gravel? Or can I add some water appropriate containers with plants in them?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm looking for some bushy floating plants for the gouramis. Some short plants for the front of the tank, and some medium to tall plants for the back. I want swimming space in the middle for my barbs.

Cody 03-14-2008 05:36 PM

Bushy, floating plants are hornwort and Java Moss. Hornwort will also "tie-itself" down if placed in gravel. They dont have roots, but will develop some sort appendage for gravel.

Corkscrew Vals, Moneywort, and Ancharis are good background plants.

Some good short plants are Java Fern and some Rotalas (most Rotala wil lgrow pretty tall though). Java fern, however cannot survive in gravel. It should be tied down on something, like driftwood.

Potted plants should work fine. I have two in my tank.

Ashkat 03-14-2008 06:18 PM

Sweet! I think I'll be doing some more shopping tomorrow.

Dtld9 03-15-2008 01:12 PM

Water sprite is a good bushy plant the can be left to float. When I had a gourami he LOVED IT!!! It looks real nice too. If you click on my tank button there are some pics of it in my 5 and 10 gallons. This website http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php also has a good list and descriptions of plants.
Good luck!

Ashkat 03-15-2008 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the great tips! For the time being I put a plastic ambulia in the back of the tank that floats up and over the top of the left side. I really like the look of the placement, so I'm thinking I'll try to replicate it with less demanding plants.

I *love* the way the corkscrew vals look! I think I'm going to try to make a 'wall' of them along the back of the tank. I could pretty easily dig a trough in the gravel back there to put in a more plant friendly substrate also.

I think the water sprite will give me the green top coverage I'm looking for as well.

I'm going to start off with the water sprite as I need more floating cover. I increased my paradise gourami count to 6 this evening in an attempt to soothe the two feisty males by giving them a harem. So, I need MUCH more top of tank hiding places. The new harem has happily taken over much of the plastic ambulia in the back corner, which still leaves the males sorting out who owns the front of the tank, aka prime begging for food space.

I re-scaped the center of the tank while I was putting in the fake-o ambulia. The rosy barbs have more flitting about space and easier access to their favorite cave.

In a two or three months I'm going to add a shoal of six panda cory cats, so I'll be adding more caves, and likely a sandy beach area to stage their food on.

Thanks again! I'm so glad this is working out so well. Can't wait to start replacing my plastic with live plants!

Love,

Ashkat

Ashkat 03-16-2008 09:17 PM

Got started with a nice bunch of hornwort this afternoon. The gouramis are loving it, and the rosy barbs have even sneaked a few dashes through it as well. I'm going to let that grow into the tank for a few weeks and then look into the vals and some java moss.

~Ashkat