Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   What Bulb to Get (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/what-bulb-get-128985/)

tankman12 02-16-2013 08:53 AM

What Bulb to Get

I have the Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit 2.5g. The bulb it comes with is terrible. I have tried the half & half Zoo Med ligh. It was nice made everything look nice. But it was not bright enough. Then I tried the regular Zoo Med bulb. But it made the corals look awful. Then I tried the Aqua Culture regular bulb. It is brighter but made the corals look bad. There is no half & half Aqua Culture bulb that I can try. Is there any other brand of compact flouresent bulb that is a half & half bulb, that is bright enough?

Reefing Madness 02-16-2013 09:47 AM

Can't help ya there. Your better off installing your own LED in that hood.

tankman12 02-16-2013 12:22 PM

That is a lot of work. I will just keep on looking and trying different brands.

Reefing Madness 02-16-2013 01:52 PM

Thats gonna be tough, because there aren't going to be any in the color range your needing.
Is the lamp on its side, or screwed in from the top?
PAR30 LED Aquarium Coral Reef Light Custom Made Brand New PAR38 Nano Pico Tank | eBay

tankman12 02-16-2013 07:53 PM

You screw the bulb into the side of the hood.

squishylittlefishies 02-16-2013 11:46 PM

It depend on your idea of "bright enough". Are you following a watts per gallon rule, orjust eyeballing it, because I'm not really sure what you're looking for!

squishylittlefishies 02-16-2013 11:50 PM

Oh, sorry to go off subject, but I just strted a 2.5 reef too. What kind of corals do you have in it and are there any other animals in it? I'm looking for ideas for stocking mine.
Thanks

Reefing Madness 02-17-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankman12 (Post 1433185)
You screw the bulb into the side of the hood.

Ok, finally came across one:
Finnex Nano Refugium Aquarium Light Blue LED 26 Watt W | eBay

tankman12 02-17-2013 07:38 PM

I have a High fin Shrimp goby and Pistol shrimp, some snails and a hermit that is it. Pistol shrimps are shy creatures but when there the only things in there, it come out all the time. You should get a Shrimp goby, pistol shrimp. There awsome. Im getting a 5g and Im making that a saltwater tank. Because the tank i have now is horrible. But the creatures are doing great and they would like a bigger tank

tankman12 02-17-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1433753)

Thanks for your help but Im going to probally get a tiny t-5 lighting system for a 5g. Any creatures you think i should get? Im thinking about getting a purple fireshish, Clown goby, a cleaner shrimp, and some type of damsel maybe a fiji or yellow tail.