Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Gourami Aggression: More females? Less males? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gourami-aggression-more-females-less-males-12883/)

Ashkat 03-13-2008 10:08 PM

Gourami Aggression: More females? Less males?

So, despite the ever so selective 'swipe and dump' method used to retrieve my gouramis from the store's tank, I wound up with two males and a female. I think. So, like they do, the boys are being aggro with one another. The more aggressive male chases the other male and the female. He flares and colors up and shows off for the female, also. I want to minimize the picking on the other male, and give the female some sort of respite from his overzealous attentions. Is the answer reducing the males by one? Or will adding a few more females going to help? (I'll make them let ME pick them out this time!)

What do you guys think?

Ashkat

herefishy 03-13-2008 10:18 PM

More females is always nice. Whether it solves your problem or not is still up to the fish. To insure you solve the problem, you can move or trade in of the males.

marinebiologist21 03-14-2008 06:16 PM

Yes! I've been wondering the same thing.
It annoys me so so much.
You say "I'd like THAT *point* one."
DO the LFS care?
NOPE.
*swipe*
*dump into bag*
"HERE"

I really need to be specific about WHICH Gourami I want.
"4 FEMALES, PLEASE."
Ugh.
LFS Annoy me.

Ashkat 03-14-2008 06:21 PM

Seriously, I just take away the net and do it myself. If they have a problem with it, they obviously don't need my money. I mean, I understand if there is a legitimite concern, but if they're just swipping and dumping, heck, I can do that.

Ashkat 03-15-2008 11:25 PM

I got three beautiful female paradise gourami at petsmart. The woman helping me was great, she and I were able to sort out the right fishies, and she was upfront and asked if I knew how to tell the females because she didn't. I really appreciated her honesty, rather than the previous swipe and dump job I'd gotten at another store.

I also added a 24" plastic ambulia to the back of the tank, it arches up and over one half of the surface, providing a lot more coverage for the gouramis. The new harem has taken over most of the ambulia bunches in that corner, and the males are sorting out who owns the prime begging spot in the front of the tank, and who owns the other tall plant on the far side of the tank.

Soon I am going to be adding live plants to this tank, water sprite for the gouramis and some corkscrew vals along the back for the barbs. Eventually I'm going to add a small shoal of panda cory cats, I'll probably build a 'beach' for them in the front corner of the tank and ring it with some java moss.

~Ashkat