Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   planting a 75 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/planting-75-gallon-tank-128809/)

mjsimet 02-14-2013 03:10 PM

planting a 75 gallon tank

I have a 75 gallon columnar tank with two small tiger oscars, a black ghost knife, and two amazon swords plants rooted in aquarium gravel substrate. I'm looking to get more plants, does anyone have suggestions for other plant species that are easy to grow? and is there something I can use as a substrate that will work better than aquarium gravel? something cheap hopefully. lol. any help appreciated. there is a T8 bulb on the tank and it seems to be working pretty well with the amazon swords in there right now.

Byron 02-14-2013 04:41 PM

If you like the present gravel, it will be fine as a substrate. Sword plants are probably the best in this situation, and they will root in gravel unless it is very large.

Swords are also fine in moderate light, something essential for the Black Ghost Knifefish. I would also get some floating plants if you don't have any, species like Water Sprite is ideal, or Brazilian Pennywort left floating works. Again more shade for the BGK; this is a nocturnal predator by nature and will be less stressed (and thus healthier and out and about more) with minimal light and plenty of hiding places in wood, PVC pipe, etc.

I should caution you on these fish, in case you are not aware of it. The BGK and the Tiger Oscars will require much larger quarters. The BGK is in our profile [click the shaded name]. The Tiger Oscar is a man-made variant from one of the natural species and attaining at least 12 inches and often more, needs twice the tank space they are now in. If both are males, one will be dead when they mature a bit. If a pair, they will obviously spawn and be nasty to the BGK who is not going to stand much of a chance. Just so you know.

And, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

mjsimet 02-14-2013 07:16 PM

thanks I'll look into those floating plant types. the BGK has plenty of shade and hiding spots due to fake plants, but I'm really trying to get live ones in instead. Do you know of any other rooted types that will get big and are somewhat hardy (similar to swords perhaps)?
And i know of size requirements for all the fish mentioned. right now Im just hoping the tigers arent both males, but we'll see. I plan on moving all of these guys to a 125 gallon in 6 months.

Byron 02-14-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjsimet (Post 1430887)
thanks I'll look into those floating plant types. the BGK has plenty of shade and hiding spots due to fake plants, but I'm really trying to get live ones in instead. Do you know of any other rooted types that will get big and are somewhat hardy (similar to swords perhaps)?
And i know of size requirements for all the fish mentioned. right now Im just hoping the tigers arent both males, but we'll see. I plan on moving all of these guys to a 125 gallon in 6 months.

OK. The profile of the BGK suggests plants for the dim lighting.