Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Nitrite Spike (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/nitrite-spike-128805/)

Tess2013 02-14-2013 01:05 PM

Nitrite Spike

Ok so my Nitrite and Nitrate levels have spiked Nitrite is 2.0ppm and Nitrate is 5.0ppm, Ammonia is at 0ppm. For the past 3 days I've been doing 25% to 50% water changes. How many more water changes do you think I will need to do? I have a 15gallon planted tank with driftwood and rocks and 5 neon tetras.

OSagent23 02-14-2013 02:33 PM

Tess,

After all the water changes what are your readings? It could take a while for nitrates to build up and out compete the nitrites. Nitrates general build up slower than nitrite. The other question is what changes have been made to the tank if any that could have caused the spike? Did anything die or rot in the tank e.i. plants, fish maybe to much food? Did you completely change any filter media in the tank? In other words identitfy what changes have happened in the last week in the tank other than the nitrite and nitrate spike.

Byron 02-14-2013 04:12 PM

I am going to make an assumption, namely that this tank is new and still in the initial cycle. Daily partial water changes of half the tank should continue until nitrite is zero. The time this can take varies from tank to tank.

Using a conditioner that detoxifies nitrite is advisable during this period, until nitrites (and ammonia) are reading zero day to day. Seachem's Prime and Aquarium Solutions' Ultimate are two I know of that handle both ammonia and nitrite. [Prime also deals with nitrate.]

Having live plants, even floating plants, helps this.

Byron.

Tess2013 02-14-2013 09:54 PM

Yes my tank is fairly new just over 2 months now I have 5 neon tetras.
PH: 3 days ago>> 6.8, today its >>6.6
Ammonia: 3 days ago>> 0.25-0.50ppm, today it's 0ppm
Nitrite: 3 days ago>> 5.0ppm, today it's 0.50 - 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 3 days ago>> 5.0ppm is still 5.0ppm

Hope that makes sense half way thru cycling I added live plants, rocks and driftwood

Tess2013 02-14-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1430763)
I am going to make an assumption, namely that this tank is new and still in the initial cycle. Daily partial water changes of half the tank should continue until nitrite is zero. The time this can take varies from tank to tank.

Using a conditioner that detoxifies nitrite is advisable during this period, until nitrites (and ammonia) are reading zero day to day. Seachem's Prime and Aquarium Solutions' Ultimate are two I know of that handle both ammonia and nitrite. [Prime also deals with nitrate.]

Having live plants, even floating plants, helps this.

Byron.

I'm using Seachem Prime

Byron 02-15-2013 11:12 AM

Everything sounds fine.