Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Gourami obsession! (Wow- not a betta thread!) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gourami-obsession-wow-not-betta-thread-12874/)

marinebiologist21 03-13-2008 04:23 PM

Gourami obsession! (Wow- not a betta thread!)

I have just recently put two dwarf gouramis in a 12 gallon tank.
I at first never liked gouramis- but why not give them a try, eh?
And to make a long story short- I love these fish.
Anyhow, I just recently purchased a shiny 30 gallon aquarium!
How many dwarf gouramis can I fit into a 30 gallon?
(I do not want to pack them in- I want 4-5 at the most, with a peacful school of tetras and 4 cories.)
Would this stock work in my tank?
Is my 4-5 max too much or too little?

Oldman47 03-13-2008 06:02 PM

The gouramis have some issues when you try to keep multiple males together. They are not as aggressive as bettas but they are not all brotherly love either. Several females can be kept with a male but it takes a large tank to accomodate more than one male for long.

marinebiologist21 03-13-2008 06:14 PM

Gender doesn't really matter to me.

MisticAllie314 06-09-2008 11:43 PM

i just started getting into gouramis myself! i started to become an aquarium hobbyist like 2 years ago. For my newest tank i decided to get one gourami to start it off (i always add one fish at a time). I absolutely love this fish! a month later i got him a female mate, and its still just the two of them. They zip around, play with eachother, and hide in the plants. One thing with gouramis is they really appreciate alot of live plants! And if you get lucky... now and then you can catch gouramis kissing... if they do it too much its aggressive but once in a while they give a little play kiss!
So i can see why you've grown to like them :)
3-5 sounds abt right for the tank size... just one male tho... their pretty territorial.

iamntbatman 06-09-2008 11:49 PM

I bought two male dwarf gouramis for my 20g before I really knew much about fish. As long as they can't see one another they leave each other alone, but if they're ever in the same part of the aquarium they can get really aggressive.

I would suggest maybe mixing up the species a bit. Honey gouramis are much more mild-mannered than dwarfs so might be a better option if you're looking to have several in one tank. No matter what species you get, I would recommend getting a lot of floating plants to break up their lines of sight.

Keep in mind that if you just recently added the dwarfs to your 12g, they might not yet be showing their territorial behavior. It took a week or two after they were added before mine started getting really aggressive. Luckily, they don't do any real damage and there's no clear bully-victim relationship, so I have left the fish where they are. If you experience problems, you might have to return or rehome some fish.

okiemavis 06-10-2008 05:58 PM

Two is plenty. Any more and you'll be having problems with aggression. It's basically impossible to find a female for sale, so I'd just stick to the ones you have.

MisticAllie314 06-10-2008 08:16 PM

huh... i usually have no prob finding a female at my lfs... but i've literally tried like 10ish lfs before i found one i like... not sure if its where i live but most of the fish stores around me keep their fish in terrible conditions...

okiemavis 06-15-2008 08:40 PM

Most gourami, particularly Dwarf (as they are the most popular) are pumped of with hormones during breeding so that only males are produced. The males are far more colorful and therefor sell better. Plus, less females in the market=less competition.