Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Damsel not eating, lethargic (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/damsel-not-eating-lethargic-128729/)

cocolodecorazon 02-13-2013 06:03 PM

Damsel not eating, lethargic

I have a 60 gal tank, live hawaiian black sand, artificial coral, 2 power heads, bubble wand and temp stays at 78*. Cycling for about 5 weeks now. SG = 1.025, Ph = 8.2, everything else is 0. Have a yellow tail damsel, 2 three stripes damsels, 1 sand sifting starfish, 1 spotted blenny and 6 hermit crabs. Have 2 clown fish and 1 purple something or other in QT that were supposed to go into my dsplay tank this weekend. Tonight I noticed that one of my damsels was lethargic laying about the bottom of the tank and looked like gasping for air. Managed to isolate it and put it in a small bowl just in case that it is contagious. What can be happening with it and what to do right away to fix the problem?

Reefing Madness 02-13-2013 08:26 PM

Sounds as if your fish is dying on you. Hard to say why. But if you have more than one Damsel, Im betting he got whooped, most don't have a clue about these fish, but they are some meanies. You cycled the tank with the Damsels?
Filtration? How are you keeping your numbers at 0? No live rock? No skimmer?
Bubble Wand is not needed, and will give you a mean case of Salt Creep where ever those bubbles are popping at the surface.
Need a Calcium and ALK reading if you got it handy. But im betting he got a butt whoopin.

cocolodecorazon 02-14-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1429988)
Sounds as if your fish is dying on you. Hard to say why. But if you have more than one Damsel, Im betting he got whooped, most don't have a clue about these fish, but they are some meanies. You cycled the tank with the Damsels?
Filtration? How are you keeping your numbers at 0? No live rock? No skimmer?
Bubble Wand is not needed, and will give you a mean case of Salt Creep where ever those bubbles are popping at the surface.
Need a Calcium and ALK reading if you got it handy. But im betting he got a butt whoopin.

Unfortunately it did die last night. You just cleared the mistery of the excess salt on my filter. I did a fishless cycle for about three weeks then added three damsels. I did use live sand, but no live rock. Right now I am using an Aqueon HOB filter rated for 75 gal, but have no skimmer. I am using canopy lights T8/15W x 2 and 1 LED lights bar. I know that equiment is not optimal, however my numbers have been good for a couple of weeks. Just now I am starting to get some brown algae, but nothing overwhelming. I am looking at buying a better filtering and lighting system within the next couple of weeks. The reason why I am a littel upset is because I bought a couple of clown fish last week and have them set up in a QT and now I am concern that I may not be able to transfer them to the display tank if I have to restart the cycle or if I have some kind of disease in it.

RSully 02-14-2013 04:16 PM

Reefing will add in some more today but I don't think you'll get away with a 60 gallon and no skiimmer, especially without live rock. Under 30, you can get away with it.

Reefing Madness 02-14-2013 06:28 PM

Right Sully, 60g gotta have a Skimmer on it. And get rid of that Filter, but first, your going to have to add 60-100lbs of Live Rock (Macro Rock) before you do this. It will have to Cure, so it will need to be in the tank for 6 weeks before adding those other fish. The filter can then be removed. You need these things to run an optimum SW tank.

cocolodecorazon 02-14-2013 09:10 PM

Ok. So went and got a eshopps 75h skimmer, got me some cured, live rock and some more led lights. I started with 20 lbs of live rock. The plan is to add about 80-90 lbs, but the LFS said to add it slowly since the artificial reef already has some bacteria on it. He said maybe next week I could add another 40-60 for a total of 80 lbs. The skimmer is getting on my nerves because it is overflowing the cup with bubbles and water to the point that it is spilling onto the floor. I keep trying to adjust it, but it doesn't do jack. Is there a trick to this joker?

Reefing Madness 02-14-2013 09:18 PM

If you got CURED LIVE ROCK put it all in at once, it won't hurt anything, its already got the bacteria growing in it. Trick to the Skimmer, brand new, is to wash it out using vinegar, this will remove the resin on the acrylic, and act better when you hook it up. The bubbles should some to the lower portion of the neck and no more.

cocolodecorazon 02-15-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1431087)
If you got CURED LIVE ROCK put it all in at once, it won't hurt anything, its already got the bacteria growing in it. Trick to the Skimmer, brand new, is to wash it out using vinegar, this will remove the resin on the acrylic, and act better when you hook it up. The bubbles should some to the lower portion of the neck and no more.

Ok so today I added another 50 lbs of cured live rock for a total of 70 lbs. I returned the light that I had bought yesterday because I didn't like the looks of it on the tank. Anywho, I got a corallight high output something or other which puts out 300w. Its got three different kinds of lights on it. Daylight, dusk-dawn light and moonlight. LFS said it was good for reef tanks which is good because now I am thinking on setting some coral in there to give the tank some color. The protein skimmer seems to be working although there are a lot of bubbles coming up. LFS said the dirtier the water is, the more bubbles I would get. So, I am hoping that once the water starts getting cleaner the bubbles will settle down somewhat. I can already see a little bit of scum sticking to the collection cup also. Something that struck me as odd when I bought the cured live rock today was that they had it sitting in a box, wrapped in some type of foam paper. Would that be cured live or just live. Also, some of this rocks have some type of white, long stuff on it, looks almost lie a worm. Would you know what that is? Thanks for all your help and the prompt responses.

cocolodecorazon 02-15-2013 05:03 PM

Since I have that live rock in there and the protein skimmer, do I need the HOB filter? How long should I wait before I can add some new fish to it?

Reefing Madness 02-15-2013 05:26 PM

No filter, throw that thing away.
Adding fish would all depend on your Tank cycling time. And being as you infact did not get Cured Live Rock, you will have to re-cure it, and your looking at roughly 4-6 weeks. The white tubes are probably from old worm canals.